Feed Store Chick Buying Guide

I'm so sorry that happened! I wish that feed stores would have descriptions with their breed labels. It would make it a lot easier on people!

It really would! I'm not even sure if the 4 orpingtons we got are female.
hu.gif
One or two of them had what I'm guessing is pasty butt but we got them cleaned up when we got home. They are running around and seem to be fine. I'm going to do some more reading here and try to find somewhere I can grab some female layers since it looks like about 2/3 of what we bought are meat chickens that will be ready to go in a matter of months.

I just read PART 2 of the article. Is it normal to be able to pick chicks at places like Tractor Supply? They had a guy just tossing random chicks into the box. I didn't know if I was able to choose them or not. One of my orpingtons was on the runty side (but is a spitfire little chick) but I probably would have chosen some different ones.

It really would! I'm not even sure if the 4 orpingtons we got are female.
hu.gif
One or two of them had what I'm guessing is pasty butt but we got them cleaned up when we got home. They are running around and seem to be fine. I'm going to do some more reading here and try to find somewhere I can grab some female layers since it looks like about 2/3 of what we bought are meat chickens that will be ready to go in a matter of months.

I just read PART 2 of the article. Is it normal to be able to pick chicks at places like Tractor Supply? They had a guy just tossing random chicks into the box. I didn't know if I was able to choose them or not. One of my orpingtons was on the runty side (but is a spitfire little chick) but I probably would have chosen some different ones.
Most stores will let you point and choose which ones you want, you just can't touch them. For example, if you say "I want that chick, that chick, and that chick" rather than "I want x buff orpingtons" then they'll usually comply. That's how I got the last two silkie chicks out of the bantam assortment!

Most stores will let you point and choose which ones you want, you just can't touch them. For example, if you say "I want that chick, that chick, and that chick" rather than "I want x buff orpingtons" then they'll usually comply. That's how I got the last two silkie chicks out of the bantam assortment!

It was bonkers in that place! We got there and then all of a sudden like 10 other people showed up. I just blurted out to the guy that I was going to get 4 of each and he just started boxing them up. I'll make sure and remember for next time. Thanks again for the article! Very helpful.

I don't think I've had a chick I hatched get pasty butt, but several from TSC. Especially the bantams. I wonder why! :confused:

I'm not sure!! Could be where they came from? And/or the stress of shipping and being in those bins with all those other chicks? Plus I did MHP with mine which seems better than the heat lamps

Yup! And thanks for linking to the thread for me! Havent had a chance to get on till,now hah its a great method though and theres been some improvements since the original but still great

Back
Top Bottom