feed store chickens

amercans are how ever you spell it will have a slate colored legs not grey .... and they lay green /blue eggs well 3 of mine lay green eggs and one lays a blue ish egg

If your feed store is like the one I go to, they will have them all separated by breed. I talked to the manager today, and he told me they get about 10,000 chicks on delivery day. 15 different laying breeds. Not counting meat birds, guinea fowl, ducks, geese and turkeys. He said you can hear the cheeping from across the street. 4 lanes.
I am ordering 50, so mine will be all separated for me when I get there, but I agree with everyone about bright eyes and alert.
Have fun..........

My family owns 2 feed stores here in FL. Our 1st shipment of chicks will be here next Thursday. At one of our stores we have a 3 level brooder so we keep them seperate from each other, but at our other store we do not have a brooder so we have them in a large wooden box that we built. It works out OK though because with the help of our hatchery I do not get any breeds that look alike during any same week. We get 3 breeds per week every Thursday starting Feb 12th through May 7th. I dont know how every feed store is but at ours there wont be any breed mixup.

Pamona, I almost went to cal poly pamona... Automotive engineering... Glad I didn't go that route with the auto industry the way it is now

Quote:
Our local feed store doesn't separate the chicks either, they keep 'em all together in one giant feed trough. They do have a chart with pictures though, to help people pick out the different breeds. It can be a little hard to tell them apart - at 2 days old, the buffs and the reds look very similar, as do the SLWs and the barred rocks. The EEs look like little chipmunks!

Even if your feed store separates them, be careful, because kids (or even adults) will pick up a chick and not always put it back in the right bin.
Although, at our feedstore the employees watch over the chick/humans very closely.

yippiechickie.gif
Have fun picking out your chickies!!

Back
Top Bottom