1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed Store Chicks.... Is there any way to tell???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by warmfuzzies, Mar 12, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    OK, I stopped at the feed store today, to ask about breeder mash. Really! I didn't know they had chicks yet.... [​IMG]

Anyway, now I want to know if there is anyway at all to tell what kind they are. [​IMG]

Here we go, no pictures... I think they are about 3-5 days old. These are the ones I am wondering about, and I really really dont want any sexlinks.

Straight run:

Smooth red, with lighter colored underside. Looks like rir to me. But the feathers are coming in striped brown and light red. Yellow legs, yellow beak.

Black with yellow points, feathers coming in black, not barred at all. Yellow feet with slightly darker legs, not black though. Some dark on the comb and beak. Black Australorps or jersey giants?

There are also a lot of chipmunks, and they dont seem to have puffy cheeks, and the legs are yellow. I have no idea on them.

If noone can tell me anything about them, just tell me to shut up and stay home next time.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I really liked my sex-links from the feed store. Friendly hearty birds, always ran from place to place in the yard, and you do not wind up with lots of roosters.

3. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I am wanting a few more of a differnet breed to incubate next year. So I want to get about 5 of one kind, I am not picky about the kind but that is why I dont want sexlinks. So if I get straight run, they wont be sexlinks, right??

4. d_cat88

d_cat88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Amarillo, Texas
    That sounds just like the chicks I got at the feed store the other day. They were supposed to be Rhode Island Reds. Here's a pic of one of them, the others were hiding behind the feed bottle.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Here's a picture of my Chipmunk baby...I was told she was an EE
    Does yours look like this?

[​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Light brahmas have stripes as chicks too, and hatchery stock don't have many feathers on their legs in my experience. So they could be brahmas instead of EE.
    The red ones are probably RIR, they will feather out with brown bars on their feathers, but as they get bigger those go away.
    The black ones are probably astrolorps or JG, but it's hard to say without seeing them.

Did you ask what they were? If you knew what hatchery they came from, and what order the feed store got, you could probably figure it out [​IMG]

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I dont think my EE's had muffs when I got them. Even now 2 do and one doesnt. My EE's yad dark yellow legs that changed to grey/green. In this photo my rir is on the left, EE on the right

[​IMG]

a little easier to see coloring, you can tell the 3 EE's
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  8. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Yes, my guess was a lot of the chipmunks were EEs, but I would love to have Brahmas, I will have to look closer at the legs.

I think the red ones are definitely rir, I diddnt know the feathers came in striped.

And I was trying to figure out the hatchery too, and I think it is probably Privett, they are in NM, and they only have one assortment, and it has everything in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by