Feed Store Chicks.... Is there any way to tell???

warmfuzzies

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
OK, I stopped at the feed store today, to ask about breeder mash. Really! I didn't know they had chicks yet....
hide.gif

Anyway, now I want to know if there is anyway at all to tell what kind they are.
smile.png

Here we go, no pictures... I think they are about 3-5 days old. These are the ones I am wondering about, and I really really dont want any sexlinks.

Straight run:

Smooth red, with lighter colored underside. Looks like rir to me. But the feathers are coming in striped brown and light red. Yellow legs, yellow beak.

Black with yellow points, feathers coming in black, not barred at all. Yellow feet with slightly darker legs, not black though. Some dark on the comb and beak. Black Australorps or jersey giants?

There are also a lot of chipmunks, and they dont seem to have puffy cheeks, and the legs are yellow. I have no idea on them.

If noone can tell me anything about them, just tell me to shut up and stay home next time....
smack.gif

Last edited:
I really liked my sex-links from the feed store. Friendly hearty birds, always ran from place to place in the yard, and you do not wind up with lots of roosters.

I am wanting a few more of a differnet breed to incubate next year. So I want to get about 5 of one kind, I am not picky about the kind but that is why I dont want sexlinks. So if I get straight run, they wont be sexlinks, right??

That sounds just like the chicks I got at the feed store the other day. They were supposed to be Rhode Island Reds. Here's a pic of one of them, the others were hiding behind the feed bottle.
smile.png

Light brahmas have stripes as chicks too, and hatchery stock don't have many feathers on their legs in my experience. So they could be brahmas instead of EE.
The red ones are probably RIR, they will feather out with brown bars on their feathers, but as they get bigger those go away.
The black ones are probably astrolorps or JG, but it's hard to say without seeing them.

Did you ask what they were? If you knew what hatchery they came from, and what order the feed store got, you could probably figure it out
smile.png

I dont think my EE's had muffs when I got them. Even now 2 do and one doesnt. My EE's yad dark yellow legs that changed to grey/green. In this photo my rir is on the left, EE on the right

PICT1021.jpg

a little easier to see coloring, you can tell the 3 EE's
PICT1006.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, my guess was a lot of the chipmunks were EEs, but I would love to have Brahmas, I will have to look closer at the legs.

I think the red ones are definitely rir, I diddnt know the feathers came in striped.

And I was trying to figure out the hatchery too, and I think it is probably Privett, they are in NM, and they only have one assortment, and it has everything in it.

Back
Top Bottom