Feed Store Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cassandra, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    About how old are baby chicks by the time you get them from the feed store? Any ideas? And how long would they keep them? I never seen any that are at the feathering stage. What do they do with them if they don't sell them?

Cassandra

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I got my EE's at the feed store right before easter and they already started feathering. The owner was just doing it for easter though. I went to a different feed store for my silkies, and those had to be a day old only.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

well.................... If you figure by the time they get them boxed up one day is gone. One day from pick up to delivery to feed store. Unless first person who sees them buys them all. You are look at 3 days old an up.

4. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I was just trying to figure out how old my chicks are. (Not that the difference of a few days would matter much.) I got them the thursday before easter (3/20). And they had maybe just a couple of tiny wing-tip feathers. So they may have been three or four days old then, right?

Cassandra

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i picked some up saturday and posted pics the same day . The fine folks around here said they were around 3-4 days old. I guess before i got them they were at the TSC for 1-2 days

6. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    That sounds right 3-4 days. I imagine they got them in that week for Easter.

I know the feed store closest to me offers a "free" chick after Easter to get rid of theirs. I say free, because of course they give you the chick and then try to charge $4 for a 5lb bag of start and grow plus sell ya a feeder and water er too. Even if you don't purchase those things they will still give it to you though. I just don't think that many people who take them have what they need to care for them so it is a little sad.

7. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Mine had arrived from the hatchery that day, so I figure they were just 1-2 days old.

At about four days they start getting obvious wing feathers... and a little tail fuzz at about a week...

8. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    they are 3 to 4 days by the time the feedstores get them.

9. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Our feedstore gets them in every Thursday (very mild climate) and they are hatched on Wednesday. The hatchery is close by, and you can even special order and get one-day old chicks the following Thursday (provided you gave a few days heads-up). Ours were total fuzz balls and had no feathers to speak of for two or three days after we got them.

I'm going to call them and see if they have free chicks!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by