Feed Store Not telling??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AzRooster, Feb 24, 2009.

1. AzRooster

AzRooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    SE. Arizona
    I recently bought 6 Buff Orpington Chicks from a local feed store. Today I called out of curiosity to see what hatchery they buy from and the owner told me they don't tell people that:/. Why not?? I was caught off guard when she told me that. Any thoughts??

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] & [​IMG]

I think that is odd, I called mine & they told me. Maybe they are to local & they are worried you will buy direct? [​IMG]

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I just called my feed store where I got my chicks and they told me the name and location of the hatchery they got this shipment from .

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG] from California [​IMG]

I don't know why they wouldn't tell you, but I have noticed that the feed stores will hang a poster of the different chicken breeds and around here anyway, the poster just "happens" to come from the hatchery they order from.

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    That's wrong. I've never heard of that. My store actually keeps the catalog of the hatchery right there by the chicks so you can make special orders if you want.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    If your feed store is making a profit from the chicks they may not want you skipping them and ordering direct. Most feed stores in my area sell at cost and expect to make money by selling the supplies toraise the chicks

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I agree that's not right. Maybe it's time to find a friendly and helpful feed mill, that is on your side.

~ bigzio

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Are you sure you talked to the Owner? I know at the feed store here, and at TSC they tell you where they get thiers, and offer to recieve yours for you if you want to order from the same hatchery, that way they all come to the store, cutting out the need to time getting to the PO at the right time, they will be waiting at the store for you(I think you had to order a minumum of 25)

9. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Weird - they tell me at our feed stores around here. Maybe you got hold of someone who doesn't know...try calling and asking someone else.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd ask a different employee. The feed stores here tell us if we ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by