Feed that reduces feces

Jan 28, 2018
Hi
I am looking to reduce the amount of waste my chickens produce (poop). I have tried to do some research online, and have found very little research or evidence via ag or extension programs, etc. Has anyone found certain feeds/diet changes the amount of waste/smell your chickens produce? I know it makes a big difference with other animals/livestock, and assume it is the same with chickens.

If they are on a higher protein diet, the theory is that they will poop out the extra protein, and that will make their feces have more ammonia. However, I have no idea why you'd be concerned about decreasing their volume of poop. Poop happens. It's a great garden amendment. How bout switching to DLM and let the poop fall where it may? Consider it to be a blessing falling from the sky.

Whatever you feed, fermenting it is said to help. I feed fermented flock raiser and get a cat litter scoop full overnight from 4 point of lay pullets. Not sure if that's less than average but seems conservative enough.

If they are on a higher protein diet, the theory is that they will poop out the extra protein, and that will make their feces have more ammonia. However, I have no idea why you'd be concerned about decreasing their volume of poop. Poop happens. It's a great garden amendment. How bout switching to DLM and let the poop fall where it may? Consider it to be a blessing falling from the sky.
Deep litter method was the acronym used. I do like the idea there is more than one type of butt nugget that is worthwhile!

Hi
I am looking to reduce the amount of waste my chickens produce (poop). I have tried to do some research online, and have found very little research or evidence via ag or extension programs, etc. Has anyone found certain feeds/diet changes the amount of waste/smell your chickens produce? I know it makes a big difference with other animals/livestock, and assume it is the same with chickens.

What do you use to not have so much waste from other animals? Never heard of this.

Only thing I can think is that cheap dog food is loaded with corn leading to larger leavings.
Corn isn't that bad it is a natural chicken heater. When it is cold that is almost the only thing my chicken want to eat. They seem to be better forcasters than the weatherman. When I see that is what they want I toss out a pint of it and make sure the heat isn't set too low in the house.

From the time a chicken eats something to the time it comes out of its butt is two hours. The only way to reduce the amount of chicken poop is to decrease the amount you feed your chickens. I'm not willing to deny my chickens food.

Back
Top Bottom