Feed types

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
EDIT: I don’t think I can delete this thread, but I found the answer in another thread.

This is a complete novice question (as these are my very first pullets).

I’ve been feeding them starter feed with high protein. Looking ahead, what’s the difference between layer feed, crumbles, and scratch? Is it all the same with different names or are they, in fact, different?

Last edited:
Pellets and crumble can be the same, just in a different form. As a general rule, chick starter is the highest in protein, and sometimes medicated.
Pullet grower is sightly lower in protein, but still higher then layer. Layer is the lowest in protein, but a fair bit higher in calcium to support egg laying.
Scratch in an incomplete feed, meant more as a treat as it tends to be to high in fat and low in other things.
You shouldn't feed young birds layer, as it is to high in calcium and low in protein, but you can feed laying birds starter/grower as long as you give them oyster shells on the side.

This is a complete novice question (as these are my very first pullets).

I’ve been feeding them starter feed with high protein. Looking ahead, what’s the difference between layer feed, crumbles, and scratch? Is it all the same with different names or are they, in fact, different?
Two different things.

"Layer" feed is a descriptor for a high calcium low protein formulation designed to be a low cost, minimally nutritious feed for production layers in production coditions during peak production period. Basically, Leghongs, Comets, Isa Browns, Cinnamon Queens, and other small, fast to point of lay, high rate of lay birds through their first or second adult molt.

Contrast with Starter, Grower, All FLock, Game Bird, Meat Bird, etc.... Which are all descriptors making suggestions about what you will find if you read the guaranteed nutrition label. But just as everyon's "red sauce" for their pasta is different, every "layer" feed is a bit different too.

Crumble and Pellet describe how the feed is shaped. You can get layer crumble and layer pellet with exactly the same nutrition. Crumble *tends* to be cheaper. Crumble can be eaten by birds of all ages/sizes (not an issue for Layer, as you shouldn't feed Layer to anything other than adult, high production hens during their active laying period). Pellet *tends* to be slightly more expensive, generally $0.50-$1.00 per bag. Because of its size/shape, it helps reduce waste, as chickens are likely to find and eat pellet they've scattered from the feeder. Its a pit large for some adolescents, and pretty much all hatchlings. In theory, it also keep longer (greater volume to surface area ratio), but the difference is pretty negligible.

Hope that helps!

Pellets and crumble can be the same, just in a different form. As a general rule, chick starter is the highest in protein, and sometimes medicated.
Pullet grower is sightly lower in protein, but still higher then layer. Layer is the lowest in protein, but a fair bit higher in calcium to support egg laying.
Scratch in an incomplete feed, meant more as a treat as it tends to be to high in fat and low in other things.
You shouldn't feed young birds layer, as it is to high in calcium and low in protein, but you can feed laying birds starter/grower as long as you give them oyster shells on the side.
Thank you!

Two different things.

"Layer" feed is a descriptor for a high calcium low protein formulation designed to be a low cost, minimally nutritious feed for production layers in production coditions during peak production period. Basically, Leghongs, Comets, Isa Browns, Cinnamon Queens, and other small, fast to point of lay, high rate of lay birds through their first or second adult molt.

Contrast with Starter, Grower, All FLock, Game Bird, Meat Bird, etc.... Which are all descriptors making suggestions about what you will find if you read the guaranteed nutrition label. But just as everyon's "red sauce" for their pasta is different, every "layer" feed is a bit different too.

Crumble and Pellet describe how the feed is shaped. You can get layer crumble and layer pellet with exactly the same nutrition. Crumble *tends* to be cheaper. Crumble can be eaten by birds of all ages/sizes (not an issue for Layer, as you shouldn't feed Layer to anything other than adult, high production hens during their active laying period). Pellet *tends* to be slightly more expensive, generally $0.50-$1.00 per bag. Because of its size/shape, it helps reduce waste, as chickens are likely to find and eat pellet they've scattered from the feeder. Its a pit large for some adolescents, and pretty much all hatchlings. In theory, it also keep longer (greater volume to surface area ratio), but the difference is pretty negligible.

Hope that helps!
Thank you! Very helpful

I have tried both Pellet and Crumble (which should really be called dust or powder) and I am wondering if there is a way to reduce the waste. I use a hanging feeder for my 7 ladies and no matter which type I put in their feeder, at least 50% ends up on the ground. My current food is Syfrett's out of Okeechobee, which is a pellet. Any time I check the coop, which is several times a day, the feed is lower but most of it is on the ground and they act like they are starving. Are there any other options?

They do get some scratch, and soldier fly larvae but they also get lots of table scraps from salad, veggies, apples, cucumbers (which get hung on a chain so that it swings around when it gets pecked.

They are normally free range all day but they were being treated for Coccidia, along with my 2 Yellow Labs, who LOVE chicken poop, so they are being contained until they are through with the 2 week retreatment cycle.

I have tried both Pellet and Crumble (which should really be called dust or powder) and I am wondering if there is a way to reduce the waste. I use a hanging feeder for my 7 ladies and no matter which type I put in their feeder, at least 50% ends up on the ground. My current food is Syfrett's out of Okeechobee, which is a pellet. Any time I check the coop, which is several times a day, the feed is lower but most of it is on the ground and they act like they are starving. Are there any other options?

They do get some scratch, and soldier fly larvae but they also get lots of table scraps from salad, veggies, apples, cucumbers (which get hung on a chain so that it swings around when it gets pecked.

They are normally free range all day but they were being treated for Coccidia, along with my 2 Yellow Labs, who LOVE chicken poop, so they are being contained until they are through with the 2 week retreatment cycle.
First I'd cut all the scratch, scraps, etc.

What time do they get out in the morning? If it's not at the break of dawn, if you remove the feeder at night when they wake up in the morning they'll be hungry and only have the option to eat the pellets left on the floor. My flock does a marvelous job at cleaning up every last piece that way.

Back
Top Bottom