Feed/vitamin schedule

shaunmac

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Just thought I'd ask, is my current schedule okay? My chicks don't lay many eggs since changing from pellets to corn, didn't know if it was related to the rest of my schedule.

Monday - mixed corn + apple cider vinegar
Tuesday - mixed corn + apple cider vinegar
Wednesday - mixed corn + breathe easy
Thursday - mixed corn + poultry tonic dry mix
Friday - mixed corn + poultry tonic dry mix
Saturday - mixed corn + poultry tonic water additive
Sunday - mixed corn + poultry tonic water additive

Obviously in separate feed containers

I've got 2 blackrocks and 1 buff orpington (under 1 year old), and 3 warrens (unsure of age), and I get between 0 and 3 eggs a day, normally 2.
Anyone see any problems with the above protocol?

Thanks
Shaun

EDIT: seems I was a bit mislead with the advice I was given on feed, a lad from work feeds his chickens mixed corn and table scraps, been having a read around and seems that they aren't a complete feed source, is this correct? If so I'll go out today and get some pellets and stop feeding them the corn

Last edited:
Corn is definitely not a complete food source. Not enough protein, no vitamins and minerals, I don't know what else. They do love it, though, and it makes a great treat / training aid in small quantities. Feeds such as starter, grower and layer are designed to be a complete food source.

Your coworker''s advice is nothing new, though. Where I live, a few generations ago, all chickens were fed table scraps and trimmings, and allowed to free range, finding protein in bugs and other nutrients in whatever they found. Usually they were also given some corn. There are still people in my area who refer to cracked corn as "chicken feed," and never buy another chicken food. These chickens survived, but didn't necessarily thrive to the extent they might have on a "complete" feed. At some point, studies were done which determined that the birds on corn, scraps and forage did not grow out as large or produce as many eggs, and presumably weren't as healthy in general. Obviously, this depended partly on how nourishing the forage and table scraps were.

Thanks
Shaun

EDIT: seems I was a bit mislead with the advice I was given on feed, a lad from work feeds his chickens mixed corn and table scraps, been having a read around and seems that they aren't a complete feed source, is this correct? If so I'll go out today and get some pellets and stop feeding them the corn
Yes, an all corn diet is not the best. Go back to feeding the layer pellets, or all flock feed, and you'll be back to getting eggs from them.

Back
Top Bottom