Feed & Water - Inside or Outside

I have food and water inside the coop; they sometimes spill the water by crashing into it while jumping down from the roost, but nothing too bad... I have kept another waterer going during the warm weather just so they don't have to go back to the coop for a drink, and they seem happy about that.
smile.png
Once it's cold enough to start icing over, I will just have the water in the coop.

Feed inside and waterers inside and outside. As you can see everyone does it different. Noone is wrong. Just go with what you feel is best for yours.

Last edited:
We've a small coop, some would say too small for 6 birds
roll.png
For space and where they spend all their time even winter, water and food are outside under the coop. Our small coop is only for sleeping and to pass through for egg laying.

Critters will come even if your food is inside coop. We've an over population of chipmunks here due directly to chicken feed. The kids love 'em but one of these preschool days when home alone the pellet gun and I will have some coffee out on the deck for the morning.

We feed inside the coop and water in the run. That will soon be changing when we bring the waterer in the coop for the winter.

I feed from a hanging feeder with a 4" flat pan under it inside the coop bc they kick all the food out of my feeder and have a water unit. Outside I have a huge dog dish bowl that 6" X 12" round and they perch on the side of it or lean over it or run through it (funny) on a hot day. I also put food down on the ground and in dish too.

Steve

Feed in the coop, and a waterer in the coop and one in the run. I sit the one in the coop on 2 cinder blocks to keep it off the floor, and sturdy. It's a 5 gallon one, so it's pretty big and heavy. I keep it filled so they can't knock it over, or... I guess I should say... haven't knocked it over yet. It will probably be flooding the coop when I go out next time.
roll.png

I don't think there's a right or wrong way. The way that works best for you, will be your way. It's a continuous learning process.
smile.png

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to know I'm not being overly obsessive.
big_smile.png

When I get the door built on the playhouse, it'll be completely inclosed at night so I'm leaning towards this autofeeder and this autowater system inside. I'll probably provide water outside as well when summer hits again. Houston heat is no joke.

right now, in the summer months, food outside and water outside in the run...in the winter, both inside, water on a heated base...full access 24/7

In the Summer, food and water are outside. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to work it come Winter. I'll probably move a heated waterer into the coop and leave the food outside.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom