Chicks won’t go inside coop?

Jul 17, 2019
Holland, MI
6-ish week old chicks recently got a run, about a week and a half ago? They only just started going outside this week though!

They are absolutely obsessed with the outside world, to the point where I never see them going inside. Not even as it gets dark out. I tried getting them in at 9pm (dusk) yesterday to no luck; and now some of them seem to hate me, fun.

They have no food nor water outside— that being my main concern— and yet, even in this 80 degree heat, I’ve haven’t seen them go inside really at all today. They just hang out under the coop, and I can’t force them to go inside or else they hide far underneath where I can’t grab them. It’s concerning, and honestly quite irritating.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Can provide photos of the coop and run.

9D10CDDC-CE13-49E7-9A8E-96842A5C2C38.jpeg

Increase the width of the ramp into the coop. For some reason it takes chickens a while to learn how to go 'up' into a coop. Increasing the width of the ramp and decreasing the angle generally help Also try sprinkling small amounts of treats on the ramp.

6-ish week old chicks recently got a run, about a week and a half ago? They only just started going outside this week though!

They are absolutely obsessed with the outside world, to the point where I never see them going inside. Not even as it gets dark out. I tried getting them in at 9pm (dusk) yesterday to no luck; and now some of them seem to hate me, fun.

They have no food nor water outside— that being my main concern— and yet, even in this 80 degree heat, I’ve haven’t seen them go inside really at all today. They just hang out under the coop, and I can’t force them to go inside or else they hide far underneath where I can’t grab them. It’s concerning, and honestly quite irritating.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Can provide photos of the coop and run.

View attachment 3569289
I agree with shorter ramp. When I introduced them to the outdoors I had my coop lower to the ground and had to heard them into coop every night and also enticed them with treats to get them on the ramp and shoo them in coop. I raised coop weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom