Feed your chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kneit099, Mar 24, 2011.

1. kneit099

kneit099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    Again, I am niave because I only agreed for my hubby to take on this little hobby of raising chicks,(my husband has done all the research), but at what age levels do you switch up what you are feeding the chicks?! [​IMG] Just trying to get advice from people who have already done this [​IMG]

I'm having too much fun...so now I want to know what to do [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chick starter for the first 8 weeks, and a couple weeks more if you put them outside at 8 weeks. That's if it's medicated feed (has Amprolium in it to help them develop immunity to coccidia in the soil) because if you put them out just as you stop medicated feed, it does no good for them. Some folks feed starter all the way until the birds lay...

I use chick starter for at least 8 weeks (more as above) then switch to grower/finisher feed after the chicks have integrated with the rest of the flock. (They're in a grow-out coop and pen for two weeks outside then released to the main flock.) Everybody in the flock is on grower/finisher, with crushed oyster shell free choice.

Many folks with their flocks all one age change to layer feed when the first egg is laid. Do not feed layer feed to growing chicks.

Welcome to keeping chickens! [​IMG]

3. austinandkara

austinandkara Out Of The Brooder

Trust me, pretty soon you will be chicken obsessed! I feed a grower & starter chick feed until they are about 4 or 5 months old. Then after that I feed them the layer pellets. Also, they love snacks! I let mine free range, so they get insects and grass. Also, my chickens love yogurt and scrambled eggs. You will probably have to wait until they get older to give them yogurt and scrambled eggs-I'm sure they are allowed to eat it as chicks but for some reason mine are never interested in them until they are older and maybe more daring to try something new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by