feed.....

I scatter the oyster shell out in the run and let them scratch around for it. That gives them something to do, scratching for food is a very natural behavior we often deny our birds.

I'm no expert, but I found that when I mixed the oyster shells into the feed the chickens kind of billed it out onto the ground to get to the good stuff. Code for: They hated it :)

They do ignore it if they don't need it. It's not that they hated it. It's just that they didn't need to take in more calcium, so they scooped it out of their way. Offering it separately allows for them to naturally regulate their intake, without them making a mess of the feed.

And how exactly should I feed them? PS. I don't have chickens quite yet (my Dad is being VERY difficult).
There are a number of feed stores in your area. Just do a quick google search to bring up the ones closest to you. They will also have feeders and waterers. I prefer metal, trough style feeders. They don't get knocked over easily, and it's impossible for them to scratch feed out with their feet. Others prefer hanging feeders.
Regardless of the type of feeder you choose, feed should be removed each night to avoid attracting rats and mice.

I may be a bit late but what I do is have a separate tray out for them with the ground up oyster shells . Whenever they feel like eating they just nibble at it sometimes . Just make sure it's high enough so they don't scratch it !

Back
Top Bottom