feed??????????????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mr.mc., Jun 22, 2011.

1. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    I have some 11 week old pekins that are on a mix of 15% chicken feed & cracked corn.
    but at my local feed store the owner old man fox some times dosent get the chicken feed. will it be ok if I just give them the corn? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At best, corn is okay for extra calories in winter, but lacks many nutrients the ducks need for good health. Yes, they often can survive on it, but I am told they can be more prone to illness. Variety certainly is helpful when it comes to healthy diet for animals.

I have used Blue Seal and Nutrena grower/maintenance rations as well as some poultry layer mash. They need a balanced ration and some variety.

There is an online article about raising your own poultry feed that's worth a look. It covers some good material about how to feed fowl a healthy diet. ("Grow Your Own Poultry Feed")

Many of us also provide some vitamins and electrolytes from time to time for a boost.

Carol Deppe's book, The Resilient Gardener, has information on what she feeds her ducks, and I found that helpful, also.

3. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    corn is not good for them in the heat, if you can even give them layer pellets or non medicated chick starter, gamebird feed, something like that, I take scratch grain and corn off my feeding list during the hotter months, I only feed it in the cooler weather. It can cause over heating and heat stroke in birds from what I have read. If you are looking for a summer filler, try wild bird seed they love that, also to keep them cool thawed frozen peas are a GREAT option, it is like crack for ducks lol. They enjoy many green veggies like lettuce and cabbage, not spinach though it has a chemical in it that is bad for them. I would try to ask the man at the feed store to order you a bag of feed however often you need it or if you have a tractor supply near you, you can get it fairly priced there. I would lay off the corn if the weather in your area is over 80 degrees though. Hope that helps, have fun with your pekins!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by