Feedback on bumblefoot?

YellowBird0

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
Dewey, Illinois
Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure my Silkie has bumblefoot, but I am not sure how invasive I should be with treatment. The pad is slightly swollen, but does not feel or look infected. The little dark spot (photo below) is not on the surface, it's deep under her skin. I soaked her feet in Epsom salt and tried working the little dark spot out, but it is deep under the skin surface.

My husband thinks we should just leave it be. What would you do? Photo of left foot (bumblefoot) and right for comparison. Right foot looks like it's showing early signs of irritation to me.

IMG_20210127_163857.jpg
IMG_20210127_163901.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_163857.jpg
    IMG_20210127_163857.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 4
It does appear to be bumblefoot, but at a very early stage, where perhaps she stepped on something sharp and it poked through the skin. I have dealt with bumblefoot cases where the sore didn't develop, and remained the same, others developed in size. Instead of soaking, as a precautious measure, it'd be easier to spray a poultry spray on the area every day. Otherwise, you could monitor the area and see if it evolves or not.

It does appear to be bumblefoot, but at a very early stage, where perhaps she stepped on something sharp and it poked through the skin. I have dealt with bumblefoot cases where the sore didn't develop, and remained the same, others developed in size. Instead of soaking, as a precautious measure, it'd be easier to spray a poultry spray on the area every day. Otherwise, you could monitor the area and see if it evolves or not.

Thank you for the feedback! My gut told me I should put an antibiotic spray on her foot. Should I wrap it, too? She free ranges, I worry the spray will wash off quickly in the snow and ice!

Thank you for the feedback! My gut told me I should put an antibiotic spray on her foot. Should I wrap it, too? She free ranges, I worry the spray will wash off quickly in the snow and ice!

Put the spray on when she's on the perch, that way she won't wear it off by walking around. As far as a bandage, I don't think it's really needed, and birds tend to be irritated by them anyway.

Put the spray on when she's on the perch, that way she won't wear it off by walking around. As far as a bandage, I don't think it's really needed, and birds tend to be irritated by them anyway.

Thanks so much for the quick response and feed back. I'll spray her feet early evening the , fingers crossed the irritation goes down on a week!

Back
Top Bottom