Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
My hens won't eat treats! I've put out grass clippings, squash and squash seed, grapes, apples, nectarines, corn cobs, melon rinds. bird seed- they just look at me like I'm wasting their space.

One time they finished a watermelon rind, but I think it's because they were bored. They never did it again.

They do love to cut fresh grass themselves though.

What has got them eating out of my hands is Quaker oats right from the canister, but that's it.

How do I get them to take an interest? Is it an acquired thing? My girls are 8-10 weeks.

I am new to this formum but love this feeding chart. I had no idea you can feed all of these things to your chickens. :|

I did try the tomatoes and half my chicks loved them and the other looked at us like we were crazy!!

WeLoveOurChicks!!

Montpelier, VA

home of:
4 bantams, 2 pencil rocks, 5 brown legs, 1 buffed cochrin, 1 sexlink and some others we aren't quite sure!

Thanks so much for this list!
I was so happy to find one and now I love feeding special treats to my chickens (they love it as well!)

hey YALL, i was wantin to know how often you can feed any of the food on the "treat chart" to chickens,, my husband & dad in law says only as a treat once inna while,, i bought a pumpkin last week,, halfed it last saturday,, gave them half,, & gave them the other half yesterday. yesterday when i was cuttin up the other half,, all the chickens were at the fence, just waitin,, they knew they were gonna get some lol.

any ideas for warm treats in the morning? I thought of cornbread- they liked oatmeal soaked in yogurt (cold) but turned their beaks up at oatmeal cooked with water (warm but must have been tasteless, I don't eat oatmeal so don't know really what tastes good to humans either) any ideas????? I'd like to have a warm treat for them when they go out each day (7:30am) to free range....jane in North Carolina

My chickens like homemade yogurt, hot oatmeal, any kind of sorouted grains. I also save the shells from the eggs we eat and crush them and spread in coup wood shavings.

I make a bowl of oatmeal with water and then stir in a spoonful of yogurt and a sprinkle of cracked corn....man do they love it. I also pull fresh clover out of the yard and they go nuts! Sometimes on a cold morning I will just put their pellets into some warm water and let it get mushy and they love it!

I loved the chart...I have heard of people feeding all kinds of stuff that's not on the list though so I will love to print it out in the future!

Back
Top Bottom