Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
I went into my fridge to try to find a treat for my chickens. Nothing seemed very chickenish but then I saw some chicken my mom made the other night. I got a piece and gave it to my 5 weeks old chicks and they loved it. I was like: "Cannibals. Poor creatures." I felt slightly bad until I saw how much they liked it. Eh. Whatever they don't know won't hurt them.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

big_smile.png
Oh we love the treat chart here at BYC! I printed it and put it in the front of my cookbook! I can always look real quick after dinner is over and see if there is anything I can save for the girls!
tongue.png

I am new to chicken feeding. I give my horse a mash of alfalfa pellets soaked in warm water with a few carrots thrown in and a shot of wheat germ oil. Will the wheat germ oil be harmful to my chickens? The like the soaked alfalfa pellets.

I HIGHLY recommend wheat germ oil... I make sure to add it through their feed a few times a week. It provides many of the micronutrients that are difficult to find elsewhere.

Great chart. I saw that you are not supose to feed the chickens scratch during the summer time. If your not supose to then what are you supose to feed them? I have never heard of such a thing.

Chickens~Galore
-----------------------------------------------
3 black australorpes, 5 buff wyandotts, 3 RIR, 2 white creasted black polish, 9 cochins (black,white,buff,barred,and partridge), 1 sultan, 1 white duccle, 1 silver spangled hamburg, 1 red spangled hamburg, 2 bb reds, 1 silver duckwing old english, 2 white old english, 4 black tailed buff japs, 3 silkies, 3 buff laced polishes, 1 seramah and 1 buff rock.

saved that i did, it will be useful when the winter months come along for when they cant come out to often, now they shall be highly entertained....
big_smile.png

chickens~galore :

I saw that you are not supose to feed the chickens scratch during the summer time. If your not supose to then what are you supose to feed them?

In the Treats Chart, the term "scratch" applies to a cracked corn & grain mix. It is thought that feeding cracked corn raises the chicken's body temperatures, therefore is not advisable in the summer.

Feeding regular layer pellets or crumble is advisable all year long, of course.

The corn-raises-body-temp theory has been disputed recently on BYC, and if you are interested to learn more, you can use the Search function.​

The `heat` comes from the energy it takes to process the grains (pellets and crumbles take less energy to process')... it is also why it is advised to take away any and all feed a few hours before the hottest part of the day.

Back
Top Bottom