feedback on my coop/run thoughts

Golden2

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2016
Polk County, Oregon
SO couple years back I rebuilt my old rotting shed into a coop. It was rebuilt with the idea that if the chickens didn't hang around I'd get the shed back. After some trouble with mother nature and a 2nd round of chickens, they are still in the family. But I want my shed back.

SO I want to build them a new little coop and a new run. I have collected/recycled some old lumber (2x4s, 4x4s, some 4x6s), I have several dozen sheets of corrugated tin roofing and some T111 siding, and I'll reuse my hardware cloth for the run.

We have 3 fullsize birds, 2 silkies, and a 3 month old that will be a full size girl. The coop will need to fit up to 6-8 birds tops(while i'd like more, wifey who does nothing with them says no?).

The coop will be elevated about 18-24". I'll build it with a side of the coop on hinges to access the inside for cleaning. The nesting boxes will be accessible from the outside from a hinged roof

They will have a run that will be about 12x14, 14x16ish, could be a few more or less. I have enough roofing to cover most of the run.

The new coop/run will be to the left of of where the coop/shed is currently. (behind the ladder there the bee box is)

Attached is a sketch I whipped up at work yesterday. Thoughts, good and bad.

thumbnails are the original shed, remodeled and our original family of pullets (RIP)

TIA

IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG IMG_2018.JPG 13245249_1060292064058255_4673977528707833241_n.jpg

It looks good to me. I don't know much about winter weather (I live in Texas) so would it as insulated as the shed? Would the feed and water be in the coop or the run? Did the water freeze last year?

Sounds good. :thumbsup
My thoughts vary from your thoughts. I, would leave the coop as is and would build a separate shed for your other needs. Your circumstance most certainly depends on your wishes and needs.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Yeah, never even crossed my mind, might have to completely rethink this. thanks

It looks good to me. I don't know much about winter weather (I live in Texas) so would it as insulated as the shed? Would the feed and water be in the coop or the run? Did the water freeze last year?

Currently I have water inside and outside with food hanging inside. My thought for the new coop would have been food inside with water outside.

Food in vertical PVC style feeders or horizontal in PVC or some upcycled rain gutters I have. Our winters are wet (rain, lots of rain) but little snow that is gone in a day or three. The water that lived outside would freeze overnight, the inside water got thin layers of crust once in a while. There is no electric in it, I had run an extension cord down to in once for a few days with a heat lamp, and made a little slipcover out of refletix for some insulation to keep the water, well water.

Back
Top Bottom