feeder for chickens and not birds

chick_magnet

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
OK my chicks are start to get old enough to where i think they can free range a little. they are 2 months old. I want to leave them their food in the coop and keep the door open so they and come in and out whenever they want. what can i do to make sure my chickens get enough food.

Do you want to leave the feed in the coop so wild birds dont eat it? Because it is unlikely they will, I let my chicks free range a bit in the day and put feed on the sidewalk and the birds pay no attention to it. And it would seem less likely they will go in to get the food. I would say it would be better to leave food out where they can see it, maybe keep some in the coop too if you want, but I think it is better spread on the ground or in a special feeder so they dont just wind up spilling it all over the ground anyway.

Hi,

I feed my chooks at different locations around the yard with a seed mixture rather than laying pellets. The chooks enjoy the scratching and rummaging.

The local native pigeons love the stuff and, as I only have two chooks at the moment, I reckon any excess seed is better going to the other birds than seeding in my lawn or going to mice.

Cheers
Murray

Do you want to leave the feed in the coop so wild birds dont eat it? Because it is unlikely they will, I let my chicks free range a bit in the day and put feed on the sidewalk and the birds pay no attention to it. And it would seem less likely they will go in to get the food. I would say it would be better to leave food out where they can see it, maybe keep some in the coop too if you want, but I think it is better spread on the ground or in a special feeder so they dont just wind up spilling it all over the ground anyway.

Wild birds carry diseases so you should never keep your chickens feed outside. I doesn't hurt to give them a little scratch a few times a week on the ground outside in the run, but only what they can eat in a couple minutes.

Quote:
I live in the city and my mom keeps feeders up, not much else I can do. My hens have been out almost a year and the chicks a month and they are all fine. Otherwise the chicks are in a hutch and the hens in their run. And right now the only reason I am letting them out everyday is because of all the gnats.

You can let them free range during the day but lock them up at night to protect them keep their food inside the coop also.

Back
Top Bottom