Feeder keeps bridging!

Kriquet

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 27, 2009
Kansas City
Ack!!
barnie.gif
How do you keep your feeder from bridging? I'm using organic grower feed crumbles and if I don't shake the blasted thing every day the feed sticks and the chickens are hungry until I get there the next morning!! We have 8 inches of snow on the ground - it's in the 20's during the day and 0 at nite - so not a speck of humidity to blame this problem on! Seriously - is there any way around this? I've tried 2 different feeders - one with a complete open bottom and one with horizontal slots - neither work!

I had that problem with my feeder. I have a 30 lb. metal feeder with a totall open bottom that I got at Tractor Supply. My feeder has an adjustment to let me open the bottom to three different settings. I had mine on the second setting but the crumbles came out to fast so I set it on the lowest setting and it seems to work. I have to shake it sometimes, but the chickens seem to be able to get the food out they need.

I have the same problem. About every other day I have to shake it or spin the divider slats for the feed to drop. And I also use the organic crumbs. I just think that's just they nature of the beast. Gravity you know. Keep shaking and keep warms.
wink.png

Last edited:
Try putting a cone in the middle of the feeder. Something like a big funnel -- one of those oil funnels from an auto supply store, say. It might force the feed away from the center and out to where the girls can get to it, and keep it from bridging up completely.

I've had this problem before, and I said very bad things about it. You have my sympathy. Ain't it always the way that the little things make us tear our hair!
tongue.png

I had that issue on the plastic feeder that they used.. with having to spin it a bit to get food to go down cos it would stick etc.

It broke a bit back, so I got the galvanized 12 # Little Giant feeder and no issues now at all. The food doenst stick, it slides right down and the eating area is always full now. I love it! I wish I had known about it before...I wouldnt have gotten the original if I had seen how good it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom