Feeder minnows

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BabyandCotton, Jul 16, 2016.

1. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    I wanted to construct a in-ground pond, very tiny, for my soon to be pair of muscovys. (I have a duck now) And I wanted to put feeder minnows and feeder goldfish in it, as well as duckweed. But could the feeders have been feed something that might hurt my duck? I could keep them inside for a week or two to force any chemicals out. I raise my ducks organic, so you can see how this concerns me
    -Liv

2. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Anybody?:)
    -Liv

3. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    I would think the whole point of feeder minnows is that they are raised to be fed to other critters, so I would think they'd be alright. I have also seen a couple of ducks gobble up ALL the minnows and gold fish in a pond in a short period of time, so not sure how many you'll want to put in there. Plus if you are going to filter the pond, fish will add to the load of waste in there.

4. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    I think I'm sticking to a in ground kitty pool and I'm going to refill fish and water weekly. Thanks Cherib!
    -Liv

5. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Me too! Have fun!

6. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Cool! You too! Where I live the feeder fish sell for about 10 cents apiece for minnows and 20 cents for gold fish.
    -Liv

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by