Feeder problem

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
I just bought a big size Galvaniced feeder with cover to hang in the Hen House. I notice the crumbles don't drop down when it's empty, I have to push the food down manually every am and pm daily. Does anyone else have this problem?

Quote:
Might be a gravity thing. It might only work best when filled at least halfway. My DBF made a wooden feeder for my chickens and the crumbles didn't flow well either. He had to change the angle of the triangle thingy which then allowed it to flow better. If you don't have a triangle thingy (and pardon my wood working ignorance) maybe you could make one and secure it to the base in the middle to help the flow.

Could you post a picture of the feeder.Some of those metal feeder tubes can be turned over depending on the pitch.If it is that kind you'll see the holes marked with a punch mark. Will

My girls are pullets, 19 wks old. I just bought the bag of layer crumbles. I also had problem with grower crumbles in this feeder. I looked to see if I could set the tube higher so the feed would fill the bottom easier but would be hard to do. Does anyone else use a galvanized tube feeder?

Quote:
I do, but mine has the holes to raise the tube higher or lower. I had the same problem with the crumbles and kept a long stick handy to break up the pile that would form in the center.
Now my girls are on layer pellets and no more problem.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I think I know the problem. When the girls eat the crumbles they grind it up and dust forms on the bottom of the feeder well, this stops the crumbles from dropping down. I'm going to try pellets maybe it won't form a dust on the bottom.

Quote:
Don't be surprised if they turn up their noses at the pellets at first. Mine didn't, but I've read lots of others have. They won't starve themselves and will eat the pellets just fine after they get used to them. Much MUCH less waste with the pellets too.

Back
Top Bottom