Feeder & Water in both coop and run?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SteveMadonnaJ, Nov 4, 2016.

1. SteveMadonnaJ

SteveMadonnaJ Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Who has a feeder and waterer in both the coop and run? Should I have them in just the coop? The run? Both?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I prefer in run only...I don't want rodents in the coop from scattered feed or a messy coop from water splashed. I will leave it in the coop in extreme weather or super cold as the chickens won't leave the coop anyway.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Most of us place the food and water where the chickens spend most of their time. For my chickens, it's the run. They only use the coops for sleeping and laying, and occasionally sunbathing since one coop has a floor to ceiling window.

Most of the time, they're all out in the run hanging out together socializing.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Ditto @redsoxs and @azygous

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    2x CTKen

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I guess I am the Odd one.......I feed and water inside my Coop......Do what ever you feel works with your flock....?

Cheers!!!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Depends on time of year. When it's so cold that I can't break the ice out of their water tub, I move it in to the coop in a heated dog bowl with a moat. They get fermented feed. So, when it freezes into a solid block outdoors before they can eat it, that goes inside as well. I'm posting a response I just made to JH re: water in the coop. Glean what is appropriate to your situation:

How big is your coop? (L x W x H) How many birds? The big issue with water in the coop IMO is that they are apt to spill it, then it will turn into a sodden or frozen mass, which will create a moisture problem. but the amount of evaporation from a water source in the coop is insignificant. I bet that a single chicken will release more moisture into the coop from her overnight respiration than any evaporation from your water source. Respiration and poop = lots of moisture, which then results in frost bite. Also, any build up of poop will eventually produce ammonia which is a health hazard. Birds have delicate respiratory systems. That's why miners used to keep a canary with them. The bird would get sick and die before the miners were aware that there was a health hazard. So, to keep things healthy: lots of ventilation (without direct draft) and keep the water from spilling. I also keep my winter water set up so they are less likely to step in it or drag their wattles through it.

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I keep water in the coop,[​IMG]under the coop,[​IMG]and in the run during hot weather,[​IMG]I keep feed in the coop,[​IMG]Treats are scattered around outside,GC

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I keep both feed and water in coop...I have a no waste/no spill feeder and a closed waterer(so no excess evaporation humidity or spills).
    It's easier for me to refill, feed is stored(in a metal can to deter mice) in the large shed that coop is in.
    I throw scratch grains out in run, right down the middle away from mesh walls so they clean it all up so as not to attract song birds and/or rodents.

10. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    aart, sorry to bring back an old post but I have read that you should not keep water in your coop to prevent humidity and frostbite, now I am reading that a lot of folks keep water in their coops. I am confused. I have a 4X4 coop for three chickens. I would love to keep a small waterer in the coop for them. I have been removing it every night right after they go to bed then in the morning I will give them a drink and then put it out in the run. Also what is a closed waterer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by