Feeder/Waterer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nola_chickens, May 25, 2011.

1. nola_chickens

nola_chickens New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    Right now I just use clay bowl-like things to feed and water my 2 chickens. However, they are very fond of stepping inside the bowl of feed and kicking the food about. Do you have any suggestions for small-scale feeders and waterers?

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    You could put the waterer/feeder on concrete blocks or bricks so that they are off the ground. That would help avoid some dirtying of the water/feed. There are other ideas for making your own feeder/waterers (such as waterers using chicken nipples) on BYC, but I haven't made my own. Just do a little search and I am sure you will find a lot of DIY ideas.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

This is what I do- a fortex black rubber tub under a 12 lb galvanized feeder (not even hung these days, just resting inside the dish). It almost eliminates waste for me. Both from my feed store but I have seen them on amazon.

[​IMG]

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I bought the water nipples cheap and free shipping just do a ebay search. Love them and they even have small hanging feeders too. coopsnmore or coopsandmore? shipped fast.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

6. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    If you raise your food and water high enough so they can't scratch, it won't get dirty and the food will be either in their tummies or in the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by