Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My rabbits have a trough-like feeder, that is about two or three inch deep trough with a little thingy attached to it that is fill with feed so it refills. would two of those type feeders with another one of those for grit, work????? if not, what are you suggestions????? I feel like this[​IMG]

2. Bigdtc

Bigdtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    I have seen this done , so I don't see why not.. Most of those style of feeders have a screen in the bottom that lets the fines fall through.. That could be an issue if your grit is very small. If you think it might go through the screen you might just mix it with your feed. I mix grit with my hen's feed and it works O.K...

3. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    It ought to work just fine.
    If you design it correctly (cut an opening in your coop), you might even be able to refill the feeder without having to enter the coop

As far as what else might work? Check out some of the homemade feeder designs that are posted on this site. Pretty much anything will work. I currently use a plastic tube as a feeder (Lay's potato chip tube).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    This is what I use for my grit it works fine. I have too many chickens to use as feeders. they should work for just a few chickens.

5. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    I know its a few months later - but would you be able to post a picture of your lays potato chip tube feeder? It really sounds great and I'm looking for a homemade design for my not-quite feathered birds.

Thank you!

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I already have a feeder (i went with a galvinized feeder) but it sounds good for a grit feeder. can you post a pic?

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I made one out of a pringles chip can. I'll post a pic ASAP

8. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Here are the pics of the pringles can feeder. I have yet to put it up.
    [​IMG] #1- Cut slits along the can with a knife[​IMG] like so ( mine are so uneven.. )
    [​IMG] optional step- cover the whole thing with duck tape. You don't have to, but it looks neater and it also hides any sharp edges[​IMG]. tada! It took me about 15-20 mintutes.

9. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    Excellent! Thank you!!

10. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    your welcome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by