Feeder

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
My rabbits have a trough-like feeder, that is about two or three inch deep trough with a little thingy attached to it that is fill with feed so it refills. would two of those type feeders with another one of those for grit, work????? if not, what are you suggestions????? I feel like this
duc.gif

My rabbits have a trough-like feeder, that is about two or three inch deep trough with a little thingy attached to it that is fill with feed so it refills. would two of those type feeders with another one of those for grit, work????? if not, what are you suggestions????? I feel like this
duc.gif

I have seen this done , so I don't see why not.. Most of those style of feeders have a screen in the bottom that lets the fines fall through.. That could be an issue if your grit is very small. If you think it might go through the screen you might just mix it with your feed. I mix grit with my hen's feed and it works O.K...

It ought to work just fine.
If you design it correctly (cut an opening in your coop), you might even be able to refill the feeder without having to enter the coop

As far as what else might work? Check out some of the homemade feeder designs that are posted on this site. Pretty much anything will work. I currently use a plastic tube as a feeder (Lay's potato chip tube).

Last edited:
This is what I use for my grit it works fine. I have too many chickens to use as feeders. they should work for just a few chickens.

I know its a few months later - but would you be able to post a picture of your lays potato chip tube feeder? It really sounds great and I'm looking for a homemade design for my not-quite feathered birds.

Thank you!

It ought to work just fine.
If you design it correctly (cut an opening in your coop), you might even be able to refill the feeder without having to enter the coop

As far as what else might work? Check out some of the homemade feeder designs that are posted on this site. Pretty much anything will work. I currently use a plastic tube as a feeder (Lay's potato chip tube).
I already have a feeder (i went with a galvinized feeder) but it sounds good for a grit feeder. can you post a pic?

Last edited:
I know its a few months later - but would you be able to post a picture of your lays potato chip tube feeder? It really sounds great and I'm looking for a homemade design for my not-quite feathered birds.

Thank you!
I made one out of a pringles chip can. I'll post a pic ASAP

Here are the pics of the pringles can feeder. I have yet to put it up.
#1- Cut slits along the can with a knife like so ( mine are so uneven.. )
optional step- cover the whole thing with duck tape. You don't have to, but it looks neater and it also hides any sharp edges. tada! It took me about 15-20 mintutes.

Back
Top Bottom