Feeders and water outside coop

hlhutchinson

Songster
5 Years
Aug 26, 2015
Casper Wyo
can you keep the feed and water outside the coop or should it be inside?
If we keep it all outside will this be a problem in the winter, I have read that some people chickens don't go out side when there's snow around is that normal?

Last edited:
Of course you an keep them outside if you can protect the feed from rain....

I agree, whatever works with your set up. We have food in the coop and water in the run.

Food is kept in the coop away from any rodents and moisture. Water is kept in the run to keep extra moisture and possible spills outdoors.

Do what works according to your weather and your season: I use a heated dog bowl for water in the coop in the winter. I also feed (FF in the coop in the winter.) Otherwise, it would be flash frozen practically before I got back in the house after tending to them! On warm days, in the winter, I can give them their FF in their sun room outside. As soon as the weather is warm enough that things don't freeze solid over night, the water comes out of the coop, they eat outside.

I don't get any snow and this is is my 1st year with chickens. I feed the chickens out in the run and their water is kept there too. During the day, the coldest was in the high 30's. I don't think we need to worry about their water freezing.

I don't get any snow and this is is my 1st year with chickens. I feed the chickens out in the run and their water is kept there too. During the day, the coldest was in the high 30's. I don't think we need to worry about their water freezing.
lucky you not having to deal with freezing water :) Where do you live?

That just answered one of the questions I had, thank you! I'm new to keeping chickens, and mine just moved into the coop 3 nights ago. Do you give them access to food and water all day and just let them "graze" or feed them just in the morning and evening?

Back
Top Bottom