Feeders and Waterers...

cowchipss

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have pullets ranging from 4-6 weeks old. (The feed store had different breeds come in on different weeks) I am finishing up my coop w/run (4W x 8L x4H) and am looking into galvanized feeders. Right now, I am using a plastic gallon feeder and a small plastic chick feeder in their brooder. They are getting more and more active and occasionally knock over and disassemble the feeder. ;-O I want to buy a galvanized waterer and feeder for their coop. Would love to see pictures of your favorites and a where you hang them. I will be purchasing and hanging mine soon. These chicks are rapidly outgrowing their garage brooder. :-D

Thanks guys!

This is an example of the type of waterers I use. I own four - two 5 gallon ones and two 3 gallon ones. Never had a bit of trouble out of any of them, except I do smear vaseline on the O rings from time to time to maintain a good fit. The brand I have is NOT Little Giant though.

http://www.eggcartons.com/Little-Giant-Plastic-Poultry-Founts/productinfo/PPF/

This is the type of feeders I have. I own four of these as well - two 30 lb. ones and two - 13 lb. ones. I wanted all 30 pounders but when I went to buy the second two the 13 lb. ones were the only ones they had in stock.

http://www.eggcartons.com/Little-Giant-Hanging-Feeders/productinfo/91HF/

I also have various shapes and sizes of chick feeders and waterers laying around. All have serviced well through several batches of chicks.

One thing to take notice of with the Little Giant galvanized waterer is that the handle it would hang from is not crimped in the middle. When we went to hang ours from a chain with an S hook, we we were worried that it would take one chicken to jump on it before the hook slid to one side making it lean and spill the water all over the coop floor. We have it sitting up on some cinder blocks for now to keep pine shavings out of it.

Quote:
My now 7 week old mixed breeds are now in their coop. The feeder and waterer I made from directions on this site are working beautifully. No billing or scratching out, NO WASTE. Their water stays clean and clear. It took them no time at all to dive in.
ya.gif

It was really simple and I had all the materials needed for the project. Free is always the best kind. The only difference being was that I did not make or use a jig and the bit used for making the holes had a pilot bit and did not run off target.
For now I put a covered box on top of each to keep them clean but will hang something over them to stop roosting.

Take a look:
http://toolmakingart.com/2008/10/07/chicken-feeders-more-details/

I will be making two more sets for the days old newbies ( 10 Ameraucans girls and 1 Roo) in the crib now. Just got them yesterday.
Until they start wasting more than they eat, the little ones have the plastic tray w/ 20 access holes (customized) and a 1 gallon plastic water jug w/tray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like'emfried :

Quote:
My now 7 week old mixed breeds are now in their coop. The feeder and waterer I made from directions on this site are working beautifully. No billing or scratching out, NO WASTE. Their water stays clean and clear. It took them no time at all to dive in.
ya.gif

It was really simple and I had all the materials needed for the project. Free is always the best kind. The only difference being was that I did not make or use a jig and the bit used for making the holes had a pilot bit and did not run off target.
For now I put a covered box on top of each to keep them clean but will hang something over them to stop roosting.

Take a look:
http://toolmakingart.com/2008/10/07/chicken-feeders-more-details/

I will be making two more sets for the days old newbies ( 10 Ameraucans girls and 1 Roo) in the crib now. Just got them yesterday.
Until they start wasting more than they eat, the little ones have the plastic tray w/ 20 access holes (customized) and a 1 gallon plastic water jug w/tray.

Ok, I'm blond and having a little difficulty. Do you have a pic of the completed feeder? Do those rings fit into the holes? I'm a visual learner and just didn't quite understand what the finished product looks like in those instructions.​

Quote:
Thank you!

I had found a way to make the waterer with a bucket in a similar fashion, but can't find the link to that.

I would build/buy one of those sleek feeders that do not take up much space but hold a lot of food and use chicken waterer cups that also do not take up much room and are super low maintenance. Like these:
62744_100_6658.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom