Feeders for moistened or fermented feed

I use a dog bowl. They do sometimes stand in it but it doesn't turn over. I took this before and after picture a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_5913.JPG
    IMG_5913.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 10
For my adults, I use a rubber feed pan (the small ones that are about a foot across). Don't have any issues with standing or scratching.

Well, I'm going to try an old Pyrex pie plate on bricks, then. I've got loads of them and I'm definitely not keen on spending $ unnecessarily. If they scratch it out they'll have to eat it from the ground. Thanks, all!
Hi. I’m currently fermenting my first batch and planned to use goodwill pie plates as well. How did this work for you? Do people leave this out all day? I prefer not to be going out to feed them all day long. It can get to 100 degrees F in my area. Is that any big deal? Does the heat dry up the feed and kill the good cultures?

I modified a plastic chick feeder. The holes were too small for grown chickens' heads, so I cut some of the slats off to widen the openings (they cut easily and cleanly with tin snips). Then I gave the feeder wooden legs (blocks cut off from a 2x4 with "skis" that go perpendicular to the feeder, to stop the chickens from knocking it over). This way it's elevated so they don't kick stuff into it or step on it. It has been working out great. I give them wet feed in it, their favorite.

1614972889615.png

Depends on how many chickens you have. I also feed wet Scratch & Peck. I found small dog bowls that attach to the hardware cloth. The bowl can be removed from the holder for cleaning.

I put in wet feed in the morning, and throughout the day, but the last batch I put in dry, in a new bowl. Whatever's left gets used in the morning's feed, since it was never wet.

No waste.

I use this. It was part of a coffee table that we no longer were using this was before I started the fermented feed but same concept. Anything not eaten in an hour (doesnt happen often) I scoop back up.

Attachments

• 20210205_171844.jpg
    20210205_171844.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom