1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeders inside the coop or outside in the run? And other feeder questions.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by srhmchlk, Oct 4, 2015.

1. srhmchlk

srhmchlk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    WI
    My coop is 4x8 ft, I have always kept food inside on a hanging 7lb feeder. This was fine with 6 chickens. When I added 3 more hens over a month ago, I also added a second feeder also inside the coop. All hens get along great. Can I go with one feeder, should I stick with 2? Should I move one feeder outside? I don't want a too crowded coop with winter coming. As a side note, I keep 2, 1 gallon waterers outside in the run.

If I do move a feeder outside, what's a good way to keep it from getting wet, I'm very predator proof with a chicken wired covered run, so moisture is my only enemy.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. bigt447

bigt447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Cover enough of your run with a waterproof tarp & put your feeders under it. I definitely think you need it out of the coop.

3. srhmchlk

Apr 1, 2015
    WI

I did cover much of my run with a tarp last year, ice collected on top. That turned I to a lot of weight. Went out 2 different times over the winter to try to break and remove it. Haven't decided how to cover this year.

4. srhmchlk

Apr 1, 2015
    WI
    [​IMG]

This is what I have, above. What about this, below?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd go back to one feeder, and keep it inside. if it ain't broke, don't fix it [​IMG]

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2 I feed outside, but what you had seemed to be working well, so go with it! You know your setup, climate, and chickens better than I do.

7. srhmchlk

Apr 1, 2015
    WI
    Is one feeder for 9 hens ok? I've seen that as many as 6 can eat together at 1 of my feeders? I don't wAnt to start aggression between them or have any girl that can't eat.

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I had 11 chickens last winter and one feeder. They did fine. This year I have 28 chickens and put a second one in until everyone was well integrated. I think part of the answer might depend on how you feed. Free choice, they learn quickly that it's always full and they'll get their share. Feeding once in the morning and once in the evening might lead to some jostling at the feeder, but they are used to each other now, have their pecking order sorted out, and they'll work through having one feeder without anyone going hungry. I think you are just fine.

9. srhmchlk

Apr 1, 2015
    WI
    I do keep it full always, so I will go back to 1 feeder and see how things go, thanks!

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You're welcome. I'm not Donrae, but I was handy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by