Fermented Feed Feeder

castillo_de_luz

Mother of Diamonds
Premium Feather Member
Dec 10, 2023
South Shore MA
I've done my searching and haven't been able to find a good answer:

What should I use as a critter-proof feeder that works with fermented feed? It will be a thicker mash consistency, no soupy or liquid-y. It will also sometimes be exposed to the elements -- run is mobile.

I really don't want to just put it in an uncovered shallow bowl/dish, but haven't seen any other options. I wanted to get a treadle feeder, but... would those even work for wet stuff?

This isn't critter-proof, but critters don't like it as it's silicone so if they sit on the edge, it jiggles.

These were a set of three I bought last year for the ferment. I like them because I can turn them inside out in the snow or grass and swipe them pretty clean. These are on a tray, but usually I carry them by pinching the sides together. They are dishwasher safe too.

Fermented feed.jpg

Fermented feed is not suitable for you @castillo_de_luz if you can't or don't want to visit the birds at each mealtime to take them their food. If delivered damp in bulk and just left, it will attract moulds of a sort you and your birds don't want. And anything acidic (including fermented feed) will react with an all-weather galvanized feeder of any sort.

This isn't critter-proof, but critters don't like it as it's silicone so if they sit on the edge, it jiggles.

These were a set of three I bought last year for the ferment. I like them because I can turn them inside out in the snow or grass and swipe them pretty clean. These are on a tray, but usually I carry them by pinching the sides together. They are dishwasher safe too.

View attachment 3707003
I could get behind this as an option! I'm only going to have a very small flock, so one or two with the proper amount of food would probably suffice. The ability to thoroughly clean them is VERY appealing. Thank you!

Fermented feed is not suitable for you @castillo_de_luz if you can't or don't want to visit the birds at each mealtime to take them their food. If delivered damp in bulk and just left, it will attract moulds of a sort you and your birds don't want. And anything acidic (including fermented feed) will react with an all-weather galvanized feeder of any sort.
I'm not sure where you got the impression that I won't be taking the food to them at every meal.

I know that I can't use a metal treadle feeder, that's why I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I won't be taking the food to them at every meal.

I know that I can't use a metal treadle feeder, that's why I'm looking for alternatives.
given the capacity of treadle feeders, I assumed - wrongly it turns out - you wanted to load and leave.

given the capacity of treadle feeders, I assumed - wrongly it turns out - you wanted to load and leave.
Ahh I see, since they can normally hold so much dry feed -- I understand the assumption. In my case, I'd like to bring out the food and stay for a bit, but would like to feel comfortable leaving the feeder unattended for an hour or two if I needed to be elsewhere or didn't want to sit outside in the rain/sleet/snow while the flock eats. So ideally, the feeder would be critter-proof enough that I could do this, but wouldn't need to be SO secure that I planned to just walk away indefinitely.

I use cage cups, easily sourced on Amazon. This at least gets it off the ground. I can't imagine putting fermented feed in a treadle, mostly because it will get nasty fast and be a pain to clean. Cups go out in the AM, and I'll pick it back up at lunch (or the end of the day if it's cold enough) to dump the leftovers and wash.

I use cage cups, easily sourced on Amazon. This at least gets it off the ground. I can't imagine putting fermented feed in a treadle, mostly because it will get nasty fast and be a pain to clean. Cups go out in the AM, and I'll pick it back up at lunch (or the end of the day if it's cold enough) to dump the leftovers and wash.
Can I see an example of what you use? Or do you have a link of what you purchased?

Back
Top Bottom