Rat proof feeder for wet feed

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
Does anyone have any ideas for a rat proof feeder that could accommodate wet fermented feed? I feed the ducks twice daily in rubber bowls, but the rats have gotten so bad they will just come out and eat alongside the ducks. I'd rather not use a treadle feeder because I feel like it would be hard to train them to, and also I worry about injuries if a duck steps off of it while another duck is eating. So far the only options I've found are designed for dry pellets.

Not sure what would work if the rats are that bold.
I built some PVC feeders that would work fine for wet food. It was funny because I was describing what I wanted to do to the guy in the plumbing section and he said that he sold more parts to people building bird feeders than he did plumbers! 😆
EDIT: It's just a little over 4 inches, and I stuffed a cottage cheese container into the bottom so that it's flush with the bottom of the 'Y'.
You can go whatever height you want, and then just cap it off to keep the vermin away.

Attachments

• 20230710_203232.jpg
    20230710_203232.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Not sure what would work if the rats are that bold.
I built some PVC feeders that would work fine for wet food. It was funny because I was describing what I wanted to do to the guy in the plumbing section and he said that he sold more parts to people building bird feeders than he did plumbers! 😆
EDIT: It's just a little over 4 inches, and I stuffed a cottage cheese container into the bottom so that it's flush with the bottom of the 'Y'.
You can go whatever height you want, and then just cap it off to keep the vermin away.
That might make it harder for the rats to get in there with the ducks, but they still could if they really wanted to. Having the cap is nice, and it would probably lessen the amount that the rats get at least.

That might make it harder for the rats to get in there with the ducks, but they still could if they really wanted to. Having the cap is nice, and it would probably lessen the amount that the rats get at least.
Lets you at least block it off when there's food inside and the ducks aren't eating.
I have a live trap for rats called a Ratinator.
Might be time to do something about your rat population.

Lets you at least block it off when there's food inside and the ducks aren't eating.
I have a live trap for rats called a Ratinator.
Might be time to do something about your rat population.
Yep, I try to feed them only what they'll eat in one sitting but that seems to vary day by day so sometimes they leave some.
Does that Ratinator work well? Especially for large colonies? We've been battling the rats for a while- caught a few in bucket traps, the dog got some, the cats got a couple (not as many as we would like them to), and we've been bringing leftover feed in at night if there is any. But they still seem to be multiplying and since they'll eat right alongside the flock, they still have a food supply.

Does that Ratinator work well? Especially for large colonies? We've been battling the rats for a while- caught a few in bucket traps, the dog got some, the cats got a couple (not as many as we would like them to)
They specialize in being able to accommodate about eight rats inside.

If I had rats that would show themselves, I'd be picking 'em off with my 40 caliber blow gun, but it does take a little practice to get good with.
There's always a Rat Terrier!

Back
Top Bottom