feeding 3 yr old hens

Teresa Lundquis

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2016
I'm new to chickens and have had my 3 plymouth barred rock hens 4 days. The rest of the flock went to the processor with previous owner.

I'm excited I have received 2 eggs so far. I had heard that hens can lay past 3 yrs and I'm betting it has to do with care and nutrition. Exactly what care and nutrition I don't know yet. I'm reading as fast as I can. Any thoughts? They have organic soy free Ranchway feed ( looks like powder) and oyster shell.

I read peanut butter but any clue how to get it into them, just on a plate, mix with a bit of grain? How much?

Also I am thinking of making a PVC pipe feeder and giving them free choice grain and a separate one for oyster shell. They seem to make a mess of the feed bowl when they scratch. I worry with 2 x a day bowl feeding they don't get enough. These hens are grass hopper control as well as pets and if I get eggs that's nice too.

They have only ever had a waterer hung shoulder height and they make a mess with that too. Do people change water daily? I hope to try the nipples. I think the hens are smart enough to learn.

Do older hens who lay less need different protein/calcium needs?

We are still getting acquainted but I'm thinking 2 eggs in 4 days means they are feeling ok. They had a lot of changes to get used too.

Thanks!

This is what I do for my hens.
I feed layer pellets, Oyster shell, scratch grains every other day as a treat..Lots of free range time. Fruits and veggies.
I just use a standard waterer and yes Chickens need fresh water Daily as they like cool water the best. Helps with egg production and keeps things moving like clock work.

Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom