Feeding a mixed-age flock

DavidGG

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
We've got some 10 week old chicks that have been integrated with the rest of our flock for several weeks now. (They were brooded by a mama hen who protected them from the bigger birds.)

We've got starter ration in an area where the bigger birds can't get to it, and the layer ration in a feeder that's raised above where the smaller birds can get to it easily. The thing is that the chicks are getting bigger and it's hard to get the layer ration to just the right height where the chicks can't get into it, but the bigger birds can.

The chicks still mostly eat their starter, but have been sampling layer ration as well. Should I be worried about this? Do you have any advice for feeding a mixed-age flock?

Thanks!

Quote:
Ditto. I also keep crushed oyster shell available free choice; the layers take it if they need it.

There are always youngsters in my flock,so I just never feed layer feed. Plus, I have ducks and geese, too. I feed everybody Nutrena All Flockfeed, which is 18% protein. Good for everybody.

Last edited:
I've been mulling through this too.

flock raiser is 20% protien but layena is only 16%. It is really just fine for the layers to be getting that extra four percent? My geese love flock raiser but the package says to switch them to layena after a18 weeks, so I worry about that 4%.

Everyone can eat Starter. Everyone can eat Grower. Everyone can eat Raiser.

The percentages of protein vary between them, so take your choice, as you see fit.

Feed the shells on the side and only the layers, who need them, will pick at them. See, it's simple, really.
If and when your whole flock is a laying flock, then everyone can eat the high calcium layer formula.

but if you feed the whole flock "starter" isn't it medicated? and if so, what about eating the eggs from hens eating medicated feed?

Quote:
Ditto. I also keep crushed oyster shell available free choice; the layers take it if they need it.

There are always youngsters in my flock,so I just never feed layer feed. Plus, I have ducks and geese, too. I feed everybody Nutrena All Flockfeed, which is 18% protein. Good for everybody.

Double ditto. Except I don't have ducks or geese.

I have a mixed age flock, 2 years, 26 weeks & 8 weeks. I feed Purina Flockraiser and leave Oyster shell available in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom