Feeding Acorns to Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bullitt, Aug 21, 2013.

1. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chirping

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa
    There was another pic that didn't load for some reason. Sorry the first one was dark, in the shade on a sunny day! [​IMG]

2. adickenscoop

adickenscoop Chirping

Mar 15, 2015
  3. Foristers

Foristers Chirping

HAHA! That is hilarious and helps to answer the question posed by the joke. Why did the chicken cross the road - to eat acorns! Now we know.
    OK I wonder if you might do me a huge favor - so that I can put together some information for future reference. Very important - DO YOU KNOW what kind of oak tree this was? Or if you do not - do you mind posting a photo of a leaf and acorn from this oak tree??? This would be very much appreciated. This helps in way that you may never know. Thanks!

4. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chirping

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I do not know, but I will ask the neighbor whose house it is and if they don't know I'll post pic of tree, leaf, acorn. They are very old trees, historic neighborhood, so sometimes we don't know what we inherited with a property.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Songster

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    That is why the acorns must be rinsed.

It seems white oaks have acorns with less tannins. So acorns from white oaks would to be the better choice for chickens.

6. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chirping

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Ok so neighbor wasn't home but they may not know since it is in the parking and not on their property technically. But I took some pics. I hope this helps[​IMG][/IMG]

Let me know if you need better pics

7. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chirping

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa
    There was also a leaf pic that for some reason went away after I uploaded the full tree pic. Here it is.
    [​IMG]

8. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Songster

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Yeah, my chickens like them off the ground, unrinsed too. Actually, one of my roosters just walked in front of me and ate an unshelled acorn whole, hat and all!

9. ceceuu

ceceuu Songster

Mar 5, 2014
    Colorado
    We have oak trees with acorns but we never get any of them because the Blue Jays take them all. They bury them so maybe this ages the tannin out of them too. The Jays come and Check on the acorns this time of year and when they are ready for harvest they can strip three trees in as many days. The deer are also fans of acornd.

10. chickensfinally

chickensfinally Chirping

May 12, 2014
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Lots of things are fans of acorns. I read a book where the characters had pigs fattening up for winter in the oak forest on acorns so I brought acorns to my friend who had pot bellies. Also that year ( had so many acorns and no chickens) I brought a huge bagful to this sort of wildlife/zoo place that had black bears that I volunteered at. Those bears loved them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: