Feeding Amounts.

Backyard Bob

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
The average chicken usually eats around 6 ounces of feed per day, correct?

Edited:

MODS: I noticed I accidentally put this in the Managing Your Flock thread. I meant to post it in the Feeding and Watering Your Flock forum. Can I move it anyhow?

Last edited:
Even if they don't let you move it...

A light layer like a Leghorn will eat about 1/4 lb of feed a day. 4 ounces or so.

A heavier bird like a Plymouth Rock will eat closer to 1/3 lb. of feed a day. 5.3 ounces or so.

But let your layers have free choice feed. Any feed disruption will cause them to stop laying, and layers don't get fat.

Even if they don't let you move it...

A light layer like a Leghorn will eat about 1/4 lb of feed a day. 4 ounces or so.

A heavier bird like a Plymouth Rock will eat closer to 1/3 lb. of feed a day. 5.3 ounces or so.

But let your layers have free choice feed. Any feed disruption will cause them to stop laying, and layers don't get fat.
Agreed, if your wondering how much to feed your birds, just leave a bowl of food out they will eat no more then they are supposed to.

I leave free choice, I was just wondering for figuring up expense costs of my upcoming project!
Hope I was helpful, then!

Didn't mean to jump to conclusions about your feeding plan, but I've answered a lot of questions about people's hens not laying well, and when I investigate they're rationing feed, 1/4 cup per bird per day.

Good luck on your project! If it helps, I keep very careful feed logs, and I go through about 5.5 ounces per bird per day for my mixed flock that's mostly RSL during the winter and 4 ounces of food a day when they're out foraging all summer.

Last edited:
No, not medicated. If you use medicated starter, I think 6ish weeks is the general time. Then a non medicated starter or grower or even an all-in-one type feed will actually be all you need. If you're keeping only layers of the same age, you can switch to a layer feed. If you have multiple ages or genders, keep everyone on the grower, etc. and just offer those hens oyster shell on the side.

No, not medicated. If you use medicated starter, I think 6ish weeks is the general time. Then a non medicated starter or grower or even an all-in-one type feed will actually be all you need. If you're keeping only layers of the same age, you can switch to a layer feed. If you have multiple ages or genders, keep everyone on the grower, etc. and just offer those hens oyster shell on the side.

Awesome! Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom