Feeding and allowing to swim?

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I know w/ baby ducks you need to supply added niacin in their diet. I have some day olds that have just hatched and a few more due to hatch over the next few days.I planned on getting brewer's yeast to top dress the food. How much would I need to put for the added niacin?

Also, when can I allow them for their first swim. Supervised of course. I ask that because where I live for the next few days it's suppose to be well over 100 degrees. Even though they are newly hatched can I allow supervised swim time?

Thanks

If you are feeding them duck food don't add niacin unless symptoms like limping occur.
They can swim on day one, technically, but I wait till day 2-3 so that they are fluffy and warm and full.
If you put food in their drinking water they love it, and can get them to start eating if they aren't,

I have mostly chickens and feed organic chick starter non medicated so i know they will need the added niacin. Is the niacin easier to add to water or food. I do have chicks with the ducklings so will the added niacin hurt the chicks?

It's fine to add to either, but if you put it on their food add a little water so it doesn't all fall to the bottom
Their should be instructions on the case with the niacin tablets
I don't know if the niacin will hurt the chicks, sorry. We raise our ducks on chick starter, no supplement, and they do fine, so maybe if you just wait to if they get bow legged or show ill effects? Up to you.
Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom