Feeding baby chicks 24% protien

12thmanjim

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
I have 200 new baby chicks, and I have been feeding them 24% for about 10 days. They look good, have lost very few birds, but
was wondering how long I will stay with this feed. I am considering going to a 20% or lower and mixing it with cracked corn.

What do you think?

Cracked corn is like giveing them candy. i give cracked corn to some of my gals becasue they love it ...love it
lol.png

No cracked corn, IMO. Why not get a starter/grower combo that is about 18% protein? That's all I can get around here. Mine stay on that till almost laying age. If you feed them too much other than the proper starter/grower at this age, they won't grow to their full potential. I've seen chicks who were raised on scratch and layer feed and, sadly, they were awfully stunted.

Quote:
I'll look for the 18% combo, I am trying to cut costs some. The 24 is 15.99 a bag, and they're almost done with the second one. They're all roosters I want to fatten them up, put some in the freezer, and sell the rest.

Ok, if they're all roosters you plan to eat, that's somewhat different. They won't be producing eggs or live long enough to have health issues. There is a feed for broiler chicks, I think, but I have no idea if it's any cheaper than what you're feeding now. Turkey grower maybe?

I have never taken mine off of higher protein feed for starter or grower. At the early growth stages I feel they need the higher protein levels (20-24%) to build tissue of all types like muscle, bone, feather and skin, etc. This high level is also recommended during a molt when they have to feather out again. I asked around and many BYC members keep their flock on the starter feed thru the entire life cycle. Meaties need this to develop their muscle tissue for us to eat. If you have dual purpose birds they need to gain size as well. I really don't see a downside to high protein feed, IMO.

It also keeps you from having to know what feed for what bird/purpose/health issue. One feed for all is very simple and doesn't tax my feeble memory.
old.gif

Last edited:
Yup I am trying to find a cheaper alternative, and not sacrifice too much on speed of growth. Also I am targeting the Mt Airy NC auction house when it reopens in march to sell most of these.

Last edited:
It may be unpopular to say it, but with that high test racing fuel you're feeding them, a higher proportion of lesser grains would save you considerably and not effect their performance in any noticeable way. It's winter and they are eating a lot, right?

Check on mixed grain, aka, scratch. At $9 a 50 lb bag, it will cut your cost considerably. Shoot, average the 8% protein of the mixed grain bag with the 24% high octane feed and you'll bring your feed cost down to $11 a 50 and your protein would be the average of 16% which is exactly what most of feed mature hens. That's a 50/50. If you'd feel better about a 70/30 blend, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom