feeding baby chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newchixparents1, Mar 20, 2017.

1. newchixparents1

newchixparents1 New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Hello all, my husband and i got our first chicks from a friend, who seems pretty knowledgeable about his flocks...we have never raised them before and at 3 weeks old, they already crack us up with their antics...We have a german phoenix (had 2, lt. one died in her sleep), and 3 buttercups..and my girl the Sultan...i was wondering when we can start feeding them scraps, we have given them a piece of bread and they went nuts over it..Is there a certain recommended age we can start giving them "treats"? A friend said not until they were big enough to go out to their coop, they are still inside right now. Being from PA and it being cold, we have kept them in...which brings me to ask when can they go in a coop...they are just starting to get their bigger feathers in, and are going thru an awkward stage, which is adorable to me...:) any advice you can give a couple of newbies would be greatly appreciated...love our little flock already and am talking the hubby into more..:)

1 person likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. Izzychicky

Izzychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2017
    Hey I am getting chicks really soon, what do you feed them not as treats but as their normal food. I have seen a bunch of different brands, but I am still deciding which to use. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

4. kilma48

kilma48 Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Hi :welcome

A good quality chick starter crumb is best for them but as to which brand that is a personal choice. Have you checked out the raising chicks section of the learning Center ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    Here are some threads on brands that I hope you find helpful ~
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Chick+starter+brands+#
    Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Hi :welcome

Is that a dog in there?

1 person likes this.
  6. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    I was thinking the same thing... It looks like a dog inside the brooder with the chicks.

7. newchixparents1

newchixparents1 New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you so much for taking g the time to help us out...Definitely don't wanna hurt our girls...That KS again article was very helpful

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Limited treats are fine, just keep in mind that they are growing rapidly, and need to be filling up on feed to support that growth. Their crops are tiny, so a little bit goes a long way. Always remember to supply grit when giving things other than feed.
    One thing that is really beneficial to chicks is a clump of sod, dirt and all. It gives them something to do, and helps them to develop immunity to their future environment.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like you've received a lot of great links and advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under newchixparents1 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you and your little ones all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by