Feeding Back Incubated Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Stacykins, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Could I do so or should I just pitch them on the compost heap? They've been in the bator a week, no signs of going bad or anything, but they aren't developing (at all, I cracked a few open to check because I can usually see development in candling by now quite well).

2. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't, just afraid that there would be bad bacteria in the egg, because of them sitting in 100* temps for a week. But that's just my opinion... [​IMG]

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Omnivore birds can handle just about anything but somehow week old 100 degree eggs I'd just toss to compost. They're likely fine but personally would toss.

4. Quote:X2

5. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    LOL

In Europe they do not usually keep table eggs refrigerated. In the stores or at home. Not as warm as incubators but certainly not always as cold as 42 deg or less. Egg refrigeration is one of the darlings of the food scare industry in America.

In France they used to use infertile eggs out of incubators in cooking. Not eggs that have been in there three weeks but a week or less. Like in pastries, noodles, etc. Not certain if they still do that on an industrial level.

There is nothing wrong with feeding these eggs back to chickens if they are completely cooked. Raw or under cooked, bad idea.

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Quote:That is my thinking as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by