Cracked Incubating Egg, Embryo Still Alive!

UrbanHomesteadTX

Songster
Mar 6, 2024
North Texas
It's day 7 today, so I started candling my eggs in the incubator and made the shocking discovery that one of my eggs is cracked! It was almost impossible to see on the shell until I candled it. (I do inspect all of my eggs thoroughly before placing in the incubator. I think the crack may have occurred during placement, or some accidental movement since) Imagine my surprise to see the embryo developing and moving!

20240406_145755.jpg
20240406_145651.jpg

(Candle shot isn't very good due to poor light. I usually use my phone for candling(Has a much stronger light), but went with what I had in order to get a pic of the crack)

Now, I know I've seen other people have been able to still hatch cracked eggs. Is there any advice on what I can do to give this egg the best possibility of survival? How likely is it that it will survive in an egg that's been cracked very early on?

Open to any constructive advice!

Did some more reading and saw most people came to the conclusion of using nail polish or candle wax or some sort. Went with what I (apparently) had available and found a bottle of nail polish hidden at the back of one of my shelves. Did a quick coat on the crack marks and put it back in the incubator. After its had some time I'll add another coat and check my work, and Make sure I didnt miss anything

20240406_153120.jpg

(Edit: Though now when I walk by the incubator it disturbingly looks like its covered in blood 😂)

It's day 7 today, so I started candling my eggs in the incubator and made the shocking discovery that one of my eggs is cracked! It was almost impossible to see on the shell until I candled it. (I do inspect all of my eggs thoroughly before placing in the incubator. I think the crack may have occurred during placement, or some accidental movement since) Imagine my surprise to see the embryo developing and moving!

View attachment 3793447 View attachment 3793450
(Candle shot isn't very good due to poor light. I usually use my phone for candling(Has a much stronger light), but went with what I had in order to get a pic of the crack)

Now, I know I've seen other people have been able to still hatch cracked eggs. Is there any advice on what I can do to give this egg the best possibility of survival? How likely is it that it will survive in an egg that's been cracked very early on?

Open to any constructive advice!
Did this work for you? I put candle wax on one of mine but now I'm thinking to do the polish.

Did this work for you? I put candle wax on one of mine but now I'm thinking to do the polish.
I've seen some other folks had luck with candle wax! Let me know how it goes! I would think removing it may cause more damage depending on the crack, but looks like using nail polish may be a good option for any future accidents.

I've seen some other folks had luck with candle wax! Let me know how it goes! I would think removing it may cause more damage depending on the crack, but looks like using nail polish may be a good option for any future accidents.
So cool! My crack is a hairline, so tiny. I'm going to candle again in a couple of days and if the crack is bigger maybe add polish too. 🤣

I checked it again today because I am terrified of an exploding egg and it seems good--I cannot visualize the crack so I believe we covered it well with wax. 😀

Back
Top Bottom