Cracked Incubating Egg, Embryo Still Alive!

In my humble opinion, using nail polish is not a good idea. Nail polish has a strong odor.
I've put a large bandaid over a bad crack and the chick hatched strong and healthy.
Good luck with your incubation!
Thank you for your input! I'll keep that in mind if there is ever a next time!
I used what I had on hand in the heat of the moment, it was either nail polish or Liquid Bandage. I found nail polish first and considered looking for the Liquid Bandage instead, as I do remember seeing a comment or two about strong smell. (But then I remembered, Liquid Bandage is also supposed to have a strong scent and went with the nail polish anyway.) I'm not quite sure if/how strong scent effects the development or hatching? Could you perhaps explain that to me? I personally have nearly zero sense of smell, so I'm not bothered by any of it, but I'm curious as to the effects it has on the chicks?

Thank you for your input! I'll keep that in mind if there is ever a next time!
I used what I had on hand in the heat of the moment, it was either nail polish or Liquid Bandage. I found nail polish first and considered looking for the Liquid Bandage instead, as I do remember seeing a comment or two about strong smell. (But then I remembered, Liquid Bandage is also supposed to have a strong scent and went with the nail polish anyway.) I'm not quite sure if/how strong scent effects the development or hatching? Could you perhaps explain that to me? I personally have nearly zero sense of smell, so I'm not bothered by any of it, but I'm curious as to the effects it has on the chicks?
Some polish has formaldehyde in it. This can be an irritant to people with sensitive respiratory systems. I imagine it could be irritating to chicks/embryos too if it crosses the membrane.

Update: Day 15 today, candling showed great development! It's on track with the rest of the clutch! 😄 Am happy to report movement.

They're due to hatch on the 20th, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on our little cracked eggy. I'm gonna be sure to monitor when it pips and starts to zip to make sure the nail polish doesn't get in the way. With any luck, no Assistance needed 🤞

Update: Day 15 today, candling showed great development! It's on track with the rest of the clutch! 😄 Am happy to report movement.

They're due to hatch on the 20th, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on our little cracked eggy. I'm gonna be sure to monitor when it pips and starts to zip to make sure the nail polish doesn't get in the way. With any luck, no Assistance needed 🤞
I am excited to know how it goes. I am candling mine again tomorrow day 14 and hoping still kicking!

Back
Top Bottom