Feeding chicken to chickens?

I haven't thrown anything into my compost pile since I put the chickens out in the run 11 weeks ago! Whatever is going out for compost now goes out to the chickens for "processing" first! Every so many weeks, I shovel out the run into the composter, lay down new top soil and start all over again.

Quote:
When I first read that I was bent over laughing, I read you feed your dog slugs. I had to reread it to understand the full meaning
lol.png

As for me I feed my birds everything except candy. If its questionable I toss it in the microwave, scorch it, let it cool and toss it in the pen to watch the feeding frenzy!!

Bubba

I think anyone who truly freeranges chickens should quit worrying.

My chickens don't hardly touch the feed...too much good stuff to scracth around and get

Well ranged chickens will blance their own diet. I have free choice sunflower seeds, scratch, and chicken feed out at all times (ok...sunflowers and scratch are really out there for the wild birdies!)...but...anytime i put a lot of any one thing out --including treats-- the chickens take what they want and then move on to something different. Corn then they'll go eat some grass/clover, then go scratch for bugs, then maybe come back for some sunflower seeds etc. They'll mob treats, but if I put out too much, they certainly won' t finish it (often to the delight of my cats or dogs!).

Sandra

Thanks, that makes me feel better. If they get to freerange and I feed the treats with eggs in them they should be getting plenty of animal protien.

gig.gif

Won't let my DH read that - he'll be blaming the chicks!

(I don't know about you folks, but we have WAY too many barking spiders around this house!)

Back
Top Bottom