feeding Chickens Black pepper

Fed the girls some hot peppery oats this morning! They woolfed if down! I'm looking forward to seeing some results tomorrow morning
hmm.png

Quote:
Well today I still only got the 1 egg from Snow White (24 weeks old) but I did notice the 3 younger pullets (20 weeks) were going into the coop alot and making "nests" on the floor of shavings. Hopefully they will lay today. I've also noticed the rooster mating all of them. If I don't get any eggs from the younger ones, I'll try feeding them the black and red pepper and see if that makes a difference. Once they are laying I'll discontinue the pepper. If they don't start laying within a few days I'll also discontinue the pepper.

I gave them a cayenne and black pepper sunflower seed treat. Hoping for extra eggs tomorrow. Today's egg from Snow White was bigger than her normal but not a double yolked size.

I got three eggs again today.. I'm convinced. I never really noticed but a small difference in water uptake, though.. but I'll take it..
smile.png

I have 7 that hatched in June and have gotten 1 egg a day for about 2 weeks the most eggs I have ever gotten was 2, and that as only once. They are mostly grass, bug, fed so I was expecting them to lay at 7 months. I gave them a spicy chilli, cooked beans with about a half cup of chopped red chilli today and yesterday; only the 2 sex links did not like it, but they are picky eaters, and today I got three eggs.

Started the great pepper experiment Wed, today I got TWO eggs, fist time since before the molt, or mid November. I'll take it.

5 BO about 18 months.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was told by an old - timer that they too used (table) black pepper to get their hens to lay when production was down. It usually works every time.
old.gif

There really is something to litening to the old-timers. They do know what they are talking about.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Well just for Poops and giggles! I will be trying black pepper on My girls! I have bantams, almost all breeds being poor layers to begin with! not to mention they completely taper off in the winter. I have a light on them and the most I can get out of 16 of them all under 1 yr. is 3 during the colder days.
So In Theory I have 16 Bantam hens, most poor layers, only getting 3 at the most eggs every other day. Grantit most of them are new to my flock and settling in still!
But I will Give it a Go to see how my Definate non production layers do with it! Soes any one know if Feeding them chickens pepper would affect a hatch, say if they were to start laying better, and i decide to hatch chicks from them does the pepper affect hatch or the embryo?

Last edited:
I have 3 19-week girls, and after reading this thread, had to try some pepper on their treats this morning. I used both peppercorns and cayenne. Now, since they're not laying yet, I won't have any baseline to compare it to, but if I get eggs tomorrow, it will be hard to chalk it up to coincidence!

Waiting patiently (ok, not so patiently) for my 3 girls to start producing!

Quote:
Well today I still only got the 1 egg from Snow White (24 weeks old) but I did notice the 3 younger pullets (20 weeks) were going into the coop alot and making "nests" on the floor of shavings. Hopefully they will lay today. I've also noticed the rooster mating all of them. If I don't get any eggs from the younger ones, I'll try feeding them the black and red pepper and see if that makes a difference. Once they are laying I'll discontinue the pepper. If they don't start laying within a few days I'll also discontinue the pepper.

I gave them a cayenne and black pepper sunflower seed treat. Hoping for extra eggs tomorrow. Today's egg from Snow White was bigger than her normal but not a double yolked size.

Got a regular size egg from Snow White who has been laying since November 24th. However - I also got a GREEN EGG from our pullet Smokey - her first egg ever. Coincidence? Don't know. But she wasn't laying until I started the pepper and sunflower seeds. I'll have to see if the other two pullets start up too.

That's Smokey's green egg on the right!
97463_new_years_eve_egg_2011_015.jpg

Another treat of sunflowers and red/black pepper was given tonight.

Back
Top Bottom