1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding chickens cooked chicken? Is it ethical?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cupman, Jul 25, 2011.

1. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Agreed

x2 [​IMG]

2. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    One thing I will say is that this is how mad cow disease became. From cows eating cow parts in their feed. They may eat it and never have a problem, or it could lead to some crazy chicken disease. We don't feed our chickens, chicken just be be on the safe side.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Chickens will eat another injured member of their flock alive so I don't think it bothers them to eat their own kind one little bit.

4. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I think it just depends on how YOU think about it, some people are ok with it, others aren't. Niether way is right or wrong, just your opinion.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I gave my chickens a piece of chicken yesterday, they played a long game of "keep away" before it was devoured by the winner. I am not making a habit of it, because that piece I offered to my cat first, and after a few licks she turns her nose up to it! Chickens scored them. But I did feel kind of weird feeding them the flesh of their own..

6. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] I can now see Robot Chicken doing a chicken version of the Texas chainsaw massacre.

7. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:[​IMG] I can now see Robot Chicken doing a chicken version of the Texas chainsaw massacre.

X2

I don't think it's ethical to waste food. Would you rather toss chicken in the garbage than to feed it to your hens.???

8. Vodzimir

Vodzimir New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    Quote:Wasn't that from contaminated brain/nervous system (spinal nerve fluid, I think) material, though? I'm pretty sure it's not just "feeding a steak to a cow" that caused the issue. Malformed prions or something?

Most people probably don't feed their chickens brains, if they're just tossing 'em cooked holiday carcasses or bits left over. I feed my chickens breast meat occasionally, during colder months or when they're not feeling well and need the extra protein... Or when the dogs are getting a treat and there's a bit too much left over.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. superwendy4

superwendy4 New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Cannibalism is disgust"ing I wouldn't do it anymore for health issues

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

For something to be ethical or not doesn't the creature have to have a inner moral compass? Chickens are not human nor are any other creatures on the face of the earth......too many people put human characteristics and feelings onto an animal. A chicken will eat anything.....even another chicken. Even we as humans don't all have the same ethics......it varies from culture to culture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by