Feeding chickens cooked chicken? Is it ethical?

Quote:
Agreed

x2
thumbsup.gif

One thing I will say is that this is how mad cow disease became. From cows eating cow parts in their feed. They may eat it and never have a problem, or it could lead to some crazy chicken disease. We don't feed our chickens, chicken just be be on the safe side.

I think it just depends on how YOU think about it, some people are ok with it, others aren't. Niether way is right or wrong, just your opinion.

I gave my chickens a piece of chicken yesterday, they played a long game of "keep away" before it was devoured by the winner. I am not making a habit of it, because that piece I offered to my cat first, and after a few licks she turns her nose up to it! Chickens scored them. But I did feel kind of weird feeding them the flesh of their own..

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I can now see Robot Chicken doing a chicken version of the Texas chainsaw massacre.

X2

I don't think it's ethical to waste food. Would you rather toss chicken in the garbage than to feed it to your hens.???

Quote:
Wasn't that from contaminated brain/nervous system (spinal nerve fluid, I think) material, though? I'm pretty sure it's not just "feeding a steak to a cow" that caused the issue. Malformed prions or something?

Most people probably don't feed their chickens brains, if they're just tossing 'em cooked holiday carcasses or bits left over. I feed my chickens breast meat occasionally, during colder months or when they're not feeling well and need the extra protein... Or when the dogs are getting a treat and there's a bit too much left over.

Last edited:
For something to be ethical or not doesn't the creature have to have a inner moral compass? Chickens are not human nor are any other creatures on the face of the earth......too many people put human characteristics and feelings onto an animal. A chicken will eat anything.....even another chicken. Even we as humans don't all have the same ethics......it varies from culture to culture.

Back
Top Bottom