Feeding chickens for cheap

Lynn-
Yes, we have friends who plant a plot for their chickens and pigs.

Early spring they plant-oats, peas, alfalfa, rape and brassicas. Then, in late June-they put the chickens out along with the piglets. They all thrive, except they are still giving them grains daily. So next year, to reduce the costs even more-they are doing a sprouting system like I described in an earlier post.

These are great ways to raise chickens/livestock naturally. I also like the idea of organ meats for them for a little extra occasionally, but not as a regular item as hormones and chemicals often settle in organs.

Good grief! I can't believe that I am feeding my chickens so much more than any of you on this thread. I have 18 chickens (one is a rooster) and I go through a 50# bag ($20) of Albers Layer pellets (20% protein) a week! That's $100 per month! My chickens are outside in the garden (50" by 70") in the winter and out in the pasture in the summer. It must be the rats. I have small wood rats that come in from the woods but I didn't realize how much food they must be eating. I have 3 cats who are all hunters and I also put out rat poison but they still keep coming in. They're kinda cute so they don't freak me out but I can't afford to keep feeding them at this rate. I've been thinking about getting a Grandfather feeder for my chickens. It wouldn't be possible for the rats to get to the food that way. Has anyone tried this kind of feeder? Does it work well?

I need help, My chickens are breaking me. 25 chickens eating organic chicken feed. 3 bags a month. They free range 3-8 hours a day. I give them bread and veggies from the garden. The food is free choice. $30 dollars a bag, at 3 bags a month is $ 90 a month. I really like them being on organic mostly because I don't want to feed them food that has been sprayed with pesticides or such. If anyone has any Ideas I would appreciate it. I am not oppossed to making my own, but I have 2 jobs and I am a full time student, so the cost would need to be worth the time. thanks everyone.
Hand feed them everyday watch and make sure they clean it up keep adjusting the amount--they don't wast that way

OP: I would suggest pulling the feed at night, if they are eating 24-7 that could be alot of the cost. You may also have a rodent issue at night, I know I started going through feed like crazy here awhile back, I also freerange, I started putting out just enough food for the day and took care of the rodent problem, my feed consumption went way down. Also keeping with a good worming schedule makes alot of difference.

If you are still around, can you please direct me to the White Water Farm for organic feed which google doesn't seem to bring up. Thank you, Lee

If you are still around, do you mind informing me of where White Water Farm is, or provide contact info.?
I'm not locating them with google. Thank you, Lee

Back
Top Bottom