Feeding chickens Gypsy Moth Caterpillars

PatriotWay

Chirping
6 Years
May 19, 2014
Massachusetts, USA
I recently discovered and researched the gypsy moth epidemic with our trees in the Northeast. My kids found a tree covered with the caterpillars so we decided to feed them to the chickens. They devoured them!! Has anyone else tried feeding them to the chickens? Is there a reason I shouldn't? I go out every morning and collect a bowl full of the caterpillars (Gypsy Moth only) and feed them. It seems like such a great system, free treats for chickens and reducing the damage done to our trees.
Any thoughts? suggestions?

Hate to call up an old post but I too was wondering this as well.

Had about 4 nests and was about to burn them when I instead threw them into the coop and check on it later.
No adults remaining. A number of smaller ones are however.

Did they eat them? No idea. But If they can, will enjoy removing those webbed nests even more so.

I ended up feeding the gypsy moth caterpillars to my chickens and guinea hens all summer and they loved them! I think what you are talking about are tent caterpillars though. I don't think the Gypsy moth caterpillars create those nests. Either way I'm sure the chickens love them and you are reducing damage to the trees too!

I just realized how similar the caterpillars look though! I'm starting to see them around again so I will start collecting them for the chickens this summer too... Good luck!
Eliza

Cool. I'd love to find more natural food for my chickens. I just let them wander the yard for a few hours a day. I figure they must be eating something! No idea what though.

I recently discovered and researched the gypsy moth epidemic with our trees in the Northeast. My kids found a tree covered with the caterpillars so we decided to feed them to the chickens. They devoured them!! Has anyone else tried feeding them to the chickens? Is there a reason I shouldn't? I go out every morning and collect a bowl full of the caterpillars (Gypsy Moth only) and feed them. It seems like such a great system, free treats for chickens and reducing the damage done to our trees.
Any thoughts? suggestions?
My free range hens wander around picking off any low crawling gypsy moth cats off the trunks and seem to enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom