Feeding chickens off your own plate... Can you do it?

Skip

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
In the middle of it all
I'm trying to be more self-sufficient right now, and I was wondering, can you feed chickens food if it's been on your plate? Can my chooks get diseases from me? I feel perfectly healthy, and my chickens are exposed to me on a regular basis. They already probably have resistance to my germs. What do you think? Do you do it?

Note: I won't be putting the ACTUAL PLATE I ate off out with them. My family would kill me if I did.
tongue2.gif

I give mine anything but meat. Just throw it out there and they'll eat what they like. Wouldn't worry about germs, assuming your not regurgitating for them! (humor).

Since the dishes all get put through the dishwasher, many times I just scrape leftovers onto one of our plates and set it out for them. Haven't had a problem yet. I'll even share a piece of melon with them.

I barely use my composter anymore...I have 10 composters on legs

they get everything from plate scrapings and leftovers, and meat too!

right now I am also giving them a wee bit of cat food for added protein cause i think they are about to start molting...(they are looking pretty rough now)

My birds would love to get into my compost piles, if I let them. They spread it out so it doesn't get to cook naturally and I have to keep raking it back up into a pile so I try to keep them out.

My flockers are finicky eaters, but I do give them meat, BBQ ribs will cause a feeding frenzy, and so will hot dogs. I don't give them much, and the ribs have the sauce washed off them. And they love peaches, or anything that I can pull a bite off of and give to them.

There are some "don'ts", like raw potatoes, citrus, onions, but most anything else is fair game. In cold months I take warm oatmeal and other goodies for them too. It is good for cleaning out the fringe, just don't give them spoiled food.

Well, when we sit at the picnic table and the chickens are free ranging.........we don't have a chance! They think the plates of food are for them only! We have to run them off.
lau.gif
I throw out all the table scraps...again here not meat...into the run or somewhere in the yard when they are free ranging.

Mine get all my leftovers even meat (not raw). I generally use paper plates so when I'm done I just set it in the coop or the pen for the indoor chickens and throw the plate on the burn pile the next day.

Back
Top Bottom