Feeding chickens.

CallyB57

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
big_smile.png
I'm so excited - I just had to tell everyone - I order organic chickweed seeds online. 1200 seeds in a pack. I'm going to plant it everywhere, so my chickens will have something nutritious to snack on.

Cool!! I have to admit, though, it seems funny to be cultivating something that everyone else considers a weed, huh? I've started cultivating dandelions myself, and every time I DON'T pull one I have this weird conflicted-gardener feeling
roll.png

http://www.wildgardenseed.com/

This
is the link that will take you to the wild garden seeds site where I bought my Oregon Tilth organic chickweed seeds. I am sorry about taking so long to reply, but once I post something, I rarely can go back and find it again. I am kind of new here, and I just fumble around a lot. The seeds were only $3, but the shipping is $6, so I think that is high, but alas, I was unable to locate any of these seeds anywhere in town - the plant nurseries did not have them, nor did the feed and seed place.
By the way, do you know if fresh sassafras leaves are okay for chickens to eat. Yesterday I fed my chickens some fresh grass clippings, tiny clovers, and a small amount of sassafras leaves - they went ape and ate the sassafras leaves before starting on the clippings and clovers. I got to thinking about it and was afraid they might get sick or die from consuming the sassafras leaves, but it did not seem to affect them at all. Their breath did improve though.
lol.png
lol.png

Cool!! I have to admit, though, it seems funny to be cultivating something that everyone else considers a weed, huh? I've started cultivating dandelions myself, and every time I DON'T pull one I have this weird conflicted-gardener feeling

I know what you mean about the dandelions. I am constantly on the lookout for those beautiful, tasty, nutritious dandelions now, but most of them have died back here in Louisiana. Chickweed is supposed to be a common weed, but I spend a lot of time inspecting my property and surrounding weedy areas for treats my chickens can eat, and I could not find chickweed. I'm pretty sure it has to be the 'stelleria? media' or 'common' chickweed, as there are others that are not as good, and I plan on eating some of this stuff myself.
big_smile.png

Also, there are lots of pics online of chickweed, but it's really too hard to identify it that way. I have a mat-type weed in the lawn area of my property and it looks like chickweed, but the flower, though small and white, is not right.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom