1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Timkie, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Timkie

Timkie New Egg

Apr 5, 2007
    Moulton
    I mix a 10 lbs. bag of saflower and a 10 lbs. bag of wild bird seeds (black sunflower, milo, corn, and other) to a 50 lbs. bag of pelleted chicken food for my hens regular diet. Should I change the wild bird seed to black sunflower? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If you mix stuff with the laying pellets you want to find things that maintain fairly closely the nutrition balance of 16% protein and enough calcium.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Just my thoughts, but my birds peck out what they want to eat (the sunflower seeds) preferentially. I now just have chicken food in the feeder and use all that other stuff you mention as scratch in the morning and evening. If you want them to get it with food, I also in the mornings do a low-sided black rubber bucket with a couple of cups of their food mixed with linseed or flax seeds and hot water. Gets them out of the coop (an incentive in winter) and stops boredom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by